Sig Demoiselle Build Log

I bought it from Sussex Model Centre, then sent it back because of some broken parts and some missing parts; looked like the box had already been opened before I got it, not a good start.

They returned it with the broken parts fixed (badly) and no missing parts replaced.

I could have fixed the broken bits better than they did, and the missing parts are easily found//made/bodged. I wish I'd not sent it back.

The fuselage to this stage is easy, but very delicate.

You can do the base triangle and the former triangles in one go, but it's then best to do it in little stages.

It's not easy to assemble these triangles together more than one at a time, simply because it's so delicate, when you touch one end you'll knock something else over.

Slowly and gently is the order of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The elevator is simple, but delicate. My fingers and thumbs keep knocking things as I'm going along.

The plan here is REALLY unclear. It shows a wiggly line down the middle of each of the two lengthwise pieces and what I now realise is a centre-line down the middle lengthwise piece. It really looks like you glue 3 1/8" pieces together (as I did in the photo).

But you don't! There's supposed to be a 1/8" gap in the middle.

elevator.jpg

Edited By Martyn Johnston on 20/10/2014 16:30:49

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not yet at the stage of needing to power it but I have no idea what to get.

I’ll need a motor, receiver (to suit Futaba), ESC and two servos but I’ve never built anything this small or lightweight before.

Postage (from USA) for the motor recommended by Sig will cost more than the motor itself.

I’ve seen photos of tiny units that combine receiver, ESC and servos, but don’t know enough to buy one.

And I’ve not seen one that seems to work with a Futaba transmitter.

I’ve no idea if these are better or worse than buying separate items.

Would anybody have any recommendations?

Hi Martyn, I have one of these contraptions and must say it is a fabulous flying machine. The power set up on mine has a 2 cell 450mah LiPo and it will fly around for at least 20 minutes easily. Mine was a very cheap set up from Tony Hill (All Electric RC) models 01782 788778 and I'm well chuffed with it. I couldn't tell you what it is as I don't know such things but Anthony knows the model and it's set up well enough to advise. Worst thing about the kit is the pilot and the wheels. Mine has spoked wheels but I haven't sorted another pilot yet!!

Ian.

gimbal.jpg

Blurry photo of the tailplane gimbal.

I suggest any potential builders buy themselves a length of 1/8" aluminium tube. This is my third attempt at building this tiny little contraption.

The required (and supplied) length is 1/2" long, but making a cross piece without getting even the tiniest bit of glue inside proved impossible for my clumsy fingers.

I ended up making it with a couple of 2" lengths, wound them together tightly with some carbon tow (I guess any strong thread would have done) and then gluing with CA and lightweight filler powder. When it was completely dry I cut the tubes down to length.