Sig Demoiselle Build Log

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 22/09/2014 09:51:11:

This is nothing like I've ever built or flown before.

I've not even seen a plane like this flying.

But that's why I usually choose a project; something a bit different for me.

I suspect you probably have (at least in film) as a replica - or one of several - which were built by PPS at Booker for THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES which starred a lecherous Frenchman as the pilot.Its performance was so marginal that the only way to get it airbourne was to employ Joan Hughes to fly it - the ex ATA pilot and flying instructor was just slight enough to enable it to slip the surly bonds of earth!

Great model subject by the way.

Alan

I've gone off-piste a bit here (never did like doing as I was told).

The instructions say to place the aluminium tube 'wing holders' on to the front and rear spars, place the wing in position with the fuselage, place a 'tiny' spot of CA to tack the tube to the fuselage, then remove the spars from the tubes, then glue the tubes more firmly.

I tried that put it wasn't going to work, I've not got enough hands to hold two pieces of wood, two tubes, two pieces of fuselage and a tube of glue.

So I did a trial run, then put some araldite on the wing supports on the fuselage, fitted the aluminium tubes onto the spars, and fitted it all in place with clamps.

If ANY of the araldite has got between the tube and the wooden spar I'm stuffed.

And I won't know until tonight.

wing assembly 1.jpg

wing assembly 2.jpg

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 07/03/2016 16:35:49

Looking good Martyn, I might have to take mine for a last indoor session before I sell it on, I just don't fly it enough thesedays and its a bit of a shame to say the least!. Mine spends its days hung up in the den. Its all charged and ready but our indoor do's are a bit hectic for something so ridiculously slow and target shaped!

Ian.

dscf3430.jpg

Hi Martyn, the only thing different on mine is a touch more downthrust, a couple of degrees more. This helps penetration when its a bit too windy for it. Other than that, mine is exactly as per the kit, apart from the wheels. These are made from slices of plastic tube for the rims, two drilled washers and a brass tube for the hub, all laced up with plastic fishing trace. The battery on mine is velcroed under the pilots foot boards. If I wanted a second Demoiselle I'd move the servos and Rx to a place inside or to the side of the pilot to hide them a bit better, but if they were painted they wouldn't look out of place in the kit position.

Ian.

First major build disaster at the weekend (well there always has to be one, so at least I've got it over with now - unless there's another one of course ).

As I said earlier I'd Araldited the aluminium wing support sleeves to the body, with the wings in situ.

I almost expected to have Araldited the wood inside the tube; but I didn't do that at all, in fact the tube to fuselage joint went perfectly. But the tube to wing spar join was just that little bit stiff on one of the joints; you could remove it on its own, because you naturally gave it a little twist, but when the wing was finally attached you could no longer twist it, it had to slide of in a straight line, and it didn't want to,

So when I pulled the wing off, my finger went through one of the fuselage uprights, and smashed it in three places; this made the fuselage jump and somehow I also smashed to opposite upright in two places!

I should have taken some photos because I did quite a neat fix and it might have helped somebody else in the future. I thought about removing the uprights entirely, but there was very little access to be able to put replacements in, and I wanted to strengthen the area up anyway. So first I glued the remnants back together. These pieces are on 1/8" square, so are rather delicate for my clumsy fingers. Then I cut a piece of 1/64" ply, 1/4" wide by about 3" long. I gently scored them lengthwise down the centre, and gently 'folded' them to 90º. I then applied glue all down the inside of the fold and placed it carefully on the damaged piece of balsa upright, with one face on the 'outside' of the fuselage and one face on the 'front' edge, with lots of little clamps on both faces.

Turned out super; dead straight and just that bit stronger than it was before. Once painted nobody will ever know.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 07/03/2016 16:34:58

I've built this (put a video on youtube flying in the snow) it flies really well and slow. I was so impressed I doubled the sizes and built a nitro version with homebase dowel and a saito 56 which also flew really well. Downside is if you get a deadstick there is virtually zero glide ability. Push the nose down (right down) and land immediately (no turning or faffing around, just put it down)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...