A STRANGE WEE LIPO

Ernie

Hi Guys, yet another query re. mysterious leccy flight systems.

A neighbour came round yesterday with a bundle of RC bits that he'd bought and never used (as they do)

Among the nicads, servos etc, there was a brand new wee (60mm x 33 x 17) battery marked

Li Poly battery 11.1 volts 1200mAh Now, my very limited knowledge tells me that 11;1 needs 3cells, but there is no balancing lead

How can this be so?

ernie

Advert

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 23/09/2014 09:29:02:

Many of the early Lipos didn't have balance leads Ernie.....they kind of appeared once it was understood that cells could go out of balance...

My very first LIPO (back in 2005) was a kokam 3S 2000 and cost £50!!!!. No balance lead back then!!!

Mind when I opened the packet there was a little note in explaining to expect around 50 cycles max. or a quid a flight surprise

I now have loads of lipos with balance leads and always do a balance charge (although the Jury's out amongst others that that's necessary)...... But they get quite a hammering and are still spot onlaugh

Hi Ernie,

I have some Lipos that are used in CCTV test monitors and they have a built in charging circuit and so are balanced . and only needing a 12 volt input are easy for the domestic user to charge .

I did peel the sticky tape off the connections to put a balance plug on them. i also found the same type of lipo batteries in a rc toy i bought from maplin had the same charging circuit in it , i also put a balance plug on that so i could use my lipo charger rather than the supplied wall charger .

Steve .