Alex's Chipmunk G-ALWB

AlexJ

I thought it was about time that I started a thread for my chipmunk.

I am coming back to model flying after a break of about 12 years. I have not started flying again, so i will need to blow some cobwebs away. Hopefully it will be a bit like riding a bike but without the sore behind!

This build can take as long as it needs, although I am looking forward to the joint endeavor.

This aircraft appealed to me as an elegant paint scheme. It was restored by a chap for his flying circus.

Here it is!

ac511582.jpg

Roll on the 1st of October!

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am a bit behind the curve, but I thought I would let the gurus chew the bugs out first.

Here is the tailplane so far, I must apologise for not taking any earlier pics, but I got carried away with the cyano!

I have gone with the plan regarding construction, rather than a core. The structure is really fragile, I ended up pinning the rear spar down, and standing the ribs up and zapping them. The leading edge was glued on at the ends, then zapped in my hands.

I took the lead from Danny, and chocked the framework before the top skin went on with aliphatic.

This was the first time I have used cyano for building models, it really makes you impatient!

I did enjoy the smell of the balsa too, it took me right back to opening the box of my KK Marquis, when I was about nine.

Alex

I managed to laminate the fin leading edge this morning, so no waiting this evening. I used four layers of 1/16th and thinned aliphatic resin. I rolled a bit of a curve into them by hand first, I could have cyanoed it but didn't fancythat.

002.jpg

Oh yes, I have coloured in the cyano lids, they kept hiding, it was driving me bonkers!

Alex

I have removed the tail from the chocks and packers, and it looks remarkably straight.

With the talk on other threads regarding the weight of the tailplane, I thought I had better weigh mine. At 28 gm, I am wondering if I forgot some of the bits.

003.jpg

Alex

Edited By AlexJ on 07/10/2014 22:22:42

I feel a bit left behind at the moment, but there is no harm in having some of the bugs chewed out by Danny!

I have had guests this weekend, so have been kept out of the workshop. My son did put in a request to the armourer, resulting in this little distraction.

005.jpg

I had to sacrifice a bit of one of my slippers for the pouch though! It's good to encourage him to make stuff, you can have a good chat whilst he is semi-distracted, much more effective than direct questions. We may also be building a Keil Kraft Achilles together, about 40 years on from doing the same with my father.

Here is a pic of the tail end so far.

004.jpg I am having a small crisis now regarding the aileron/flap lines, now Danny has mentioned it my eyes keep being drawn to them. Having not started the wings yet, I may try something.

Alex

Hi Alex, don't worry you are not being left behind, I am just making sure I stay ahead

I know what you mean about the shroud step, I keep looking at the flaps and ailerons too. It may be possible to alter the trailing edge of the shroud a bit without doing too much extra work. Making the flap sit further foward when viewed from beneath is another matter. Yes it could be done. But we could get all bogged down with this as the hinge points may alter, and that wont be good. I suggest you carry on with the wing as is, but perhaps hold fire on the flaps and ailerons until I have given them a go?

I will see what can be done, as it is bugging many of us.

Cheers

Danny

I have made some progress, having spent quite some time on the hinges and the hinge pockets. They seem to soak up plenty of time with nothing to show for it! I think it's worth the investment of time though. When I have something worth looking at I will post some pics.

Alex

Lots of sanding on the elevators tonight. I had the lapdog in the workshop, for reference, and I noticed I am the only one who has done the cut out in the leading edge of the elevators, well, on one so far! Looking at some of the full size photos, I think I will reinstate the leading edge on the notched one, and follow the herd!

Pictures, when there is something worth looking at.

Alex

It seems the basic structure of the various bits comes together quite quickly, but finessing takes as long again.

I have finished the fin, rudder,tailplane and elevators, apart from some small ribs to the top of the rudder.

006.jpg

I had a go at the elevator joiner/horn tonight. I was not sure how I would get on with the silver soldering, it turned out ok in the end. When I ordered the nuts and bolts from the place Danny uses, I took the opportunity to pad out the order with some silver solder, flux and some brass plate. They have some useful stuff on that site.

I cleaned everything carefully, mixed up a tiny amount of flux paste, then I gripped the end of the solder in some needle nose pliers and bent it around the nose of the pliers, creating tiny rings of solder.

This pic shows the solder rings pushed against the brass arm. I had some off-cuts of Skamolex board, which is fireproof and a very good insulator. drilling a couple of holes, enabled me to hold the wire, whilst gravity aligned the horn.

007.jpg

I should have been more careful with the flux, the solder really travels to any area with flux!

008.jpg

Here is the finished article, it will not win any beauty contests, but it seems very strong.

009.jpg

I hope to glue it in place tomorrow, then take a closer look at the wings.

I will have a read to remind myself what to look out for.

Alex