Work room

Near enough

I have turned the spare bedroom into a little workroom.It is the spare room because its always cold in the winter.It as 2 exposed walls and a large window.The radiator is as big as it can be given its location. I wondered what the best way to keep it warm is using electric heater of some kind. At the moment I pop up there,find its cold so turn the elec heater on,it takes a while to warm up and by that time I have done a few bits and ready to leave the now warm room.I wpould like to get something I set for a certain temp and leave it on so its a constant heat,good with my wood in there also.The basic electris heater I have now,electric coil sort,has a dial from 1-10 but the thermostat is not that good. ALso wahts best economy wise ,filament/coil sort or the oil filled kind,? any advice or comments would be great.

Advert

NE

You could look into replacing the existing radiator with a fan assisted radiator. The still take the heat from the normal heating system but an electric fan pushes air through the housing. They are smaller than a normal radiator for the same output and the fan can be thermostat controlled.

I would thoroughly recommend good quality oil filled radiator. These are available to be hung on the wall just like a normal radiator and have timers and thermostats and are finned for efficiency. I bought three for our flat. They were not cheap but they have been the best heaters I have ever had. Mine are made by Haveland which is a Spanish brand but there should be a good choice in the UK

The trouble with a halogen heater is that they are not space heaters. The room will be cold when you go in and although they might make you comfortable it is much better to have a consistent and adequate ambient temperature. Glues and paints need adequate temperatures not just when you apply them but also during curing. Wood and humans very much enjoy the better climate.

I have a shed with the usual draughts... I use an oil filled radiator to stop it freezing up - destroys glues etc. Its more of an anti frost heater rather than a room heater and is turned on full time (1 dot - low thermostat) from October to April. I also have a 3 bar halogen heater on the workbench to keep me and my radio warm.

Both came from Pound Stretchers at a stupid low price..

Can you improve the level of insulation? Loftspace is usually straightforward. Walls are a bit harder / more expensive to insulate but the window can be tackled with heavy curtains or better, internal panels of Kingspan or similar. OK, you'd lose the natural light, but its dark most of the time in winter anyway.

Graham