Hitec Servo Arms

mfin

I wonder if anyone can point me to anywhere on the web where I can source some decent servo arms for standard size hitec servos.
The standard 'arm pack' doesn't come with anything very long and a few times I've resorted to using the supplied two piece, teeth-gripped extendable white plastic arm that you always get given as they are the only ones of reasonable length, but they just don't seem very trustworthy when used on something like an elevator on a 60" Extra for example.
Any pointers??
Thanks

Advert

Have you tried what we call down Cornwall "smouldering" ? If you've got a soldering iron .simply line up your nylon bits to be joined Then dig down half way through all around Then fold over the "flash" & smooth off with the iron again It works a treat & can be used as a technique for all sorts of repairs EVEN for 'er indoors .Tell me how you get on when you've convinced 'er you need a soldering iron if you havn't got one (about 40 watts will do nicely) (what the hell happened to inventiveness ?) Please can someone tell me how to go digital & start flying all the models I've built this winter? Look forward to hearing from old timers like me who cant cope with anything more than a very big box full of balsa & a few aero-modelling widows Understand anyone ?surely i'm not on my own? Can't wait to see if there is a reply
How do I start a "thread"?
my E mail adress is myron.beaumont@btinternet Can we start a Grumpy old man (balsa v li po's)type thing ?ie oil v explosives ?

There are lots of good aftermarket metal arms for hitec servos.
For example go to www.fusionmodels.co.uk and look at 'servo accesories' - 'airwild'
you will find arms from 1" to 3" long for Futaba, Jr, & Hitec servos. not cheap but good high quality products.
The idea of joining nylon arms with a soldering iron and then using them on a the sort of model that needs big throws fills me with horror. it may be ok on a radio assist free flight model BUT NOT on anything else unless you want to kill somebody!!

• 4 weeks later...
Have just done a .test on two bits of servo arms i'd cut off cos of reply from Chris.I could not snap or break it at all on my repair It eventually snapped over the clevis hole .So don't knock it .Try it for yourself (don't use any more heat than you require to melt the plastic/nylon or it will lose it's resilience/plasticity tensile or shear strength whatever you want to call it )You can of course use the same material as a "filler" if you're not happy with the look of it.D'ont overheat it.It is extremly malleable Experiment! Isn't modelling to do with what you can use/recycle/adapt instead of just buying something ? Call me old fashioned but to me it's the heart of our hobby .

I've just thought of another solution .Why not add a servo offcut arm to the proper one with a couple of aileron type set screws & nuts . They will go through & match the holes for those who can't use a drill bit .D'ont tell me it wouldn't be strong enough .Should I test it for you ?
Sorry but I do get grumpy when I suspect eventually all models will come from the East ready built .Whatever happened to inventiveness that made the Great in GB.
Think I've said enough .I'm beginning to sound like a politician instead of a musician Welcome to any comments !

Myron
No offence meant, I'm all for doing it yourself and building 'real models'and finding alternative solutions providing they employ good engineering and are not just bodges.
When somebody asks about long servo arms to get big movements I think that there is a posibility that they may be talking about the sort of models we fly for 3D/Freestyle aerobatics - 25-30% scale with 30-100cc motors and no way would I encourage somebody fly this sort of model on standard nylon servo arms (welded or not), in fact I could not reccomend the standard arms for anything above 0.60 size models, I would even try to talk them out of aftermarked heavy duty plastic arms and encourage them to buy high quality metal ones. I would also assume that they would use high quality high torque digital servos and carbon rod linkages.
I may be wrong and mfin may be talking about a 40 size 3D/fun fly machine in which case nylon arms may be OK.

Chris
Point taken !!!I am talking up to 60'ish type models actually) By the way I'm not a bodger but a retired RR Service Engineer Aero Engine Division Derby !Thanks for reply - It gives me a sense of perspective .Must go to a LMA meeting of which there are apparently loads up here near Newcastle . Myron.

Hello Myron,
<a retired RR Service Engineer Aero Engine Division Derby!>
It's a bit off thread but "Snap" so am I!
I don't recognise the name so I guess our paths did not cross, I was at MRR,Brazil, Singapore, HK, Sweden - until I saw the light and joined P&W to build up my pension! - hence the cap in my picture.
Peter

hi Peter Interesting Eh!My ref was Pms/Shp/Bmt "Sinfin B site" long time ago .Did you meet Bob Clarke who worked in Hong Kong .We were apprentices tgether Long story .Who is/are P&W ? Funny how the aviation industry consists of folks interested in flying of any type now reverted back to modelling (safer) Lots like me I think who are self unemnployed / retired .Happy take offs & landings Myron.

Caution, do not fit long/strong servo arms to Hitec servos. The only servo failures I have seen were Hitec (hi crash?) high torque servos where the splined output drive sheared in flight right where the output arm fixing screw ends in that little hole it threads into...
Evan.

Evan
I can only assume that you are taking about the plastic output shafts on the cheap Hitec servos. If an output shaft has failed in flight (rather than in an impact) then I would suggest that it has been subject to some damage, for example either a previous crash or a too big screw being fitted.
Come along to the British Freestyle Aerobatic Championships at the end of May and you will see plenty of entrants flying Hitec servos with arms up to 2" long in models ranging from 120 four stoke size up to 30% scale BUT they will all be using metal geared digital ones.
If you only buy the cheapest in the range and overload and abuse them don't slag off (the 'hicrash' term)the rest of the products from that manufacturer.

Hmm, this was one of the 1/4 scale servos, big purpose designed things that are supposed to be used for bigger models. I do take your point about casting doubt on manufacturers products, but the only other R/C bother I have had was when one other Hitech enthusiast pressed his latest Focus set into my hands while flying and asked me what I thought of it, as the on/off switch fell out of the fascia...Perhaps it's only me these things happen to, but I have been unimpressed with the gear since.
Evan.