Stainless steel engine bearings

GrahamWh

I am going to replace the bearings in my ASP FS70AR soon as they have developed some play. I can detect some wobble when I pull one prop blade forward and the other backwards. I suspect the rear bearing is a bit loose.

One member of the club I go to recommends replacing with stainless steel, but I have read on one bearings supply site that stainless are not as strong as normal steel - can't handle as high a load. Are they suitable for model engine bearings?

Also I can only find a stainless one in the size I want with rubber seals. Is it okay to just prise off these rubber seals to make it into an open bearing?

Thanks guys, Graham.

Removing the seals will cause no problems. as for the strength I must say I have no experience with them so cannot say for sure. But stainless steel is hardly soft, and the ceramic bearings are good for 300,000 in a turbine so no lack of strength there. The limiting factor (I suspect) will not be the rpm rating of the bearing but how much stock load it can take. And given that every time the engine fires it puts a shock into the bearing that could be a problem. Time will tell!

One thing I did hear however is that ceramic bearings don't work very well if they are drenched in oil. even the tiny amount of oil in a gas turbine can sometimes cause them to slip instead of working as they out. I must say I have no direct experience of this myself so cannot be sure, but it might be something to look out for.

My flying buddy and I both have a couple of Irvine 53 Mk 2 two stokes & as many others have found the original bearings weren't the best. we went through a period of around 12 months where we were regularly having to change bearings. It was a bit of a pain but useful as we learnt a bit whilst doing it.

In the end for these engines we found the best replacements were the ceramic ball units, and once we fitted these our problems were sorted. They cost a bit more but they are great.

• 4 years later...

Yes the same bearings since the entry above in late 2014 - so 4 years ago, and no play that I can feel. I fly this model more than any other that I have, but don't get to the field every week - in bad weather I may not fly for a month or two. I find the puppeteer floats well and is very enjoyable to fly, but with this engine it'll shoot around a bit too. Great fun!

I use Simply Bearings as they give a good choice of budget and more expensive makes and are at good prices. Free postage too at the moment unless you select other postage options. Even then, my last two orders arrived 2 days after ordering.

Edited By GrahamWh on 12/01/2019 13:49:59