Paro Airport Approach

Pete B

From what I've seen, the approach to Tensing-Hillary Airport, Lukla is challenging in the small turbo-prop airliners used there. This approach into Paro Airport, Bhutan, takes mountain flying to a different level, with a scheduled Airbus A319 service.

A rather naff commentary, unfortunately, with the reporter trying desperately to put a 'dangerous' and 'terrifying' spin on it, which is rather at odds with the evident enjoyment of the passengers. Still, it is the BBC, I suppose....smile

Pete

Advert

Posted by cymaz on 29/10/2014 06:41:08:

There is a YouTube video, that I can't find, about landing in The Bahamas. An almost verticle dive, hope over the fence and miss the sea at the end - if memory serves me.

A most amusing, and appropriate typo! Two possible things spring to mind from your description.

The approach to St Maarten in the Caribbean does not require a near-vertical dive, but the runway is short (with hills at the far end close by) and the approach is in over the sea, then over the beach and onto the runway immedaitely after the beach. There are many videos on youtube of people hanging on to the fence to experience the jet blast from departing planes, or of being overflown at very low level by arriving aircraft.

Seconly there is an airfield, possibly in the Bahamas, but I think more likely another island in the Caribbean. Here the approach is downhill to the runway - one youtube video shows a plane approaching too fast, flaring and not actually touching-down until about half-way along the (short) runway, and running off the end into the sea.

I'll see if I can find the video and you can tell me if it's the one you're thinking of!

Posted by cymaz on 29/10/2014 06:41:08:

There is a YouTube video, that I can't find, about landing in The Bahamas. An almost verticle dive, hope over the fence and miss the sea at the end - if memory serves me.

Is this the one, cymaz?

They should sit in the aisle seats and leave the window seats to those who enjoy looking out, Jo! teeth 2
Take-off and landing are the best bits of the flight, anyway - the bit in the middle can be just too boring!
Pete

That's the place I was thinking of in my "secondly" paragraph. I haven't yet found the one of the plane having a drink there, but I'll keep on looking.

In the meantime, here's one - coincidentally from the same person who did the video that Pete posted - of a low arrival at Princess Juliana in St. Maarten.

Edited By John Privett on 29/10/2014 21:31:03

Posted by John Privett on 29/10/2014 21:11:59:

Seconly there is an airfield, possibly in the Bahamas, but I think more likely another island in the Caribbean. Here the approach is downhill to the runway - one youtube video shows a plane approaching too fast, flaring and not actually touching-down until about half-way along the (short) runway, and running off the end into the sea.

I'll see if I can find the video and you can tell me if it's the one you're thinking of!

Found it...

A bit more on St Barthelemy - which is (I've just discovered) only about 20 miles from St. Maarten.

The runway is only 650m long, and the aircraft in the video got no benefit from about the first 400m of it! As far as I can measure on Google Earth, they finally touched down with only about 250m left! Perhaps in hindsight a go-around might have been in order...