A Brit In Greece

John Morrall

Hi Guys - Early retired ten years ago & moved to Greece. As a teen in the sixties had a passion for control line flying, never did any radio work.

After a career in the RN as a Marine Engineer (Steam & gas turbine) Had a hankering to fly (Not a lot of scope for sailing in the North Midlands) Joined a gliding club for a year or so...Nearly got to fly solo! Other things got in the way, so everything put on hold. Moved to Greece 2004 & now most jobs are done, so wanting to get back into a hobby I will enjoy. We live in a fairly remote & rural community, no flying clubs, as far as I can determine this side of Athens (300 klms away) so will have to go it alone.

As a tester, bought a cheap quadcopter - Syma X5c not more than a toy really, but it has given me some insite regarding stick control & orientation & can be used in a small space & has actually proven a huge amount of fun.

Anyway - Now feel that I would like to progress to fixed wing flight, but the array available is daunting. To start building my own craft is my aim, but have it in mind to buy a cheapish RTF rig in order to get to grips with the basics.

A trainer is obviouly what I need, no problem with space hereabouts & I have several areas of flattish grassland I can use....The bottom line then guys - Any suggestions on a model that would suit my needs? I had actually considered a Hobbyzone Delta Ray, as it's listed as a begginers craft, but any input would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.

Advert

I started with a multiplex easy star. I think it is the best way to start if you have no one to instruct you.

recently there are a few modles with gyro systems that can help you such as E-Flite Apprentice With SAFE Technology but I am not sure if they suit the self learn pilot. Maybe other can comment.

We have been doing Crete for 22 years now and I'm a 'visiting member' of the Agios Nikolaus group (not really a club as such but a very friendly, knowledgeable and keen bunch). Try asking on their facebook page, Niko speaks perfect English and might know of any mainland clubs or organisations:
Aeromodelling Passion all over Greece

Also you could try the Corfu Model Flying Hotel, they might also know of any mainland facilities.

Big Andy (Andy Simmonds) on the BMFA might know something.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 04/11/2014 12:36:47

Hello John , welcome to the forum.You are geographically closer (Croatia-Adriatic Sea) to me than the UK face 1. My recommendation is also something from Multiplex,for example Easy Glider ,so ,have a good and funny time.

Greetings from Adriatic Seahot

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 04/11/2014 12:43:42

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 04/11/2014 12:45:06

Welcome, despite being ex RN from ex Army

I would look at the Eflite Apprentice for learning solo not the cheapest out there, but a decent size (for visibility and orientation) decent flight duration, with SAFE technology so push the panic button and it goes straight and level

...... and lots of time on a decent RC Flight Simulator too

Many thanks, for both the welcome & advice (Even from the Pongo!wink) Have noted all the comments & must say the Apprentice seems a sound bet, if a little expensive as a first up. Seen the utube review & it ticks the boxes, but there again, also watched the Delta ray vid & the tech seems much the same? Also given the airframe configaration & set back props, may be a better crash survivor? Video is interesting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPre006a5cQ

My mate has recently bought the e-flite Apprentice and is getting on well with it. He got the shop to replace the Dx5 Tx with the latest DX6 which caused a slight problem solved by downloading the latest apprentice instruction book. We were amazed to find that having spent 30 minutes in the air with the help of an instructor, there was still 30% left in the battery, so endurance is not a problem. The stabilisation system varies from full to nil in 3 steps using a 3 position switch on the TX. He quickly got the hang of flying with the stabilisation switched on so the instructor switched to the next setting which caused an initial shock, but he soon got used to the extra control movements it gave him. In fully stabilised mode i understand that he has successfully taken off and landed so it appears to do what it promises on the tin.

My only observation on the Delta Ray is that it is smaller, lighter, has less power and a much smaller battery than the Apprentice. I believe it also steers by asymmetric thrust on the engines rather than a rudder. As such, my instinct is that the Apprentice represents the main stream of model flying.