DB Vampire building

Chas Morgan

Hello Chas,

Mine is also on its way. I was debating with using the E-flite (ones for the Habu 32) or the ones from HK (a little cheaper - although I seem to have lost the link from when I last looked at the ones I wanted a few months back - so not too sure if these are sold out). I will weigh up the kit etc and then choose suitable u/c.

I have also ordered this fan and will run it on eight s ie 2 X 4s (I have a few of of these !) http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__49491__Dr_Mad_Thrust_90mm_11_Blade_Alloy_EDF_1400kv_Motor_2900_Watt_8S_.html

This is a potential option although I note the AUW limit for these are 3Kg and DB show the AUW at approx 5kg (not sure if thats with EDF or turbine. Although there is a note on retracts that the requirement is for 5kg)

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__43993__Turnigy_Full_Metal_Servoless_Retracts_with_Oleo_Legs_Tricycle_Habu_type_UK_Warehouse_.html

Thanks Tomtom I am going to fit a Wren 44 turbine. I hope the all up weight comes out at less than 7Kg Eddie asures me that it should easily the wren weighs10 ozs which I suppose is not much more than an electric fan and controller. When I have had a look around for retracts I will comment on them.

Hello Chas,

Look forward to seeing that fly. (I've gone electric as it will offer me more flexibility of flying sites)

I suspect that these retracts might do a better job . These are used on the Boomerang Nano's and I will see if they fit the DB

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroonline/e2eflite/e2accessories/e2_electric_retracts/e2_retracts_60_120.html

Good stuff Charles; if my previous experience is anything to go by the parts will be a pleasure to assemble they are so accurate. DB also manage a work of art just packing it all into the box.

If you want some inspiration there are a couple of Vampire walkaround photo sets here. If you want ideas on colour schemes there is loads of stuff on this site including some good links to other data.

I look forward to seeing it develop.

Trevor

day2a.jpgParts 113a and 114a I could not see a ref as to where they go, but was reasonably obvious with a little head scratching also are they the correct way up as they will fit both ways!! so I put a wing rib 206 in place and am fairly certain they are in correctly, any comments before I glue them please.day2.jpg

Hi Charles, difficult to tell just from the photos without seeing the plans. It looks as though the bottom sits proud of the large cross pieces; why would it do that and is it flush if you turn it up the other way? Are the rectangular cut outs at the bottom the same size as those in the rib.? They look a bit smaller. I am probably no help at all!

Coming on well for a couple of days' work.

Thanks Tony!

TomTom have you started yours yet?
I am a little concerned as I have put on the stringers as per the instructions but to do that I hd to take off the base frame. Just seen later in the instructions that this is required re the wings!!????
I decided to commence the wings now in case I need to make any alterations to the fuselage to refit the frame!!
Charles

I know now why I need the base frame on, but all okay I can cut the nibs off the base frame and still locate the frame with masking tape as per instructions. For anyone building the Vulcan the thing to do is to leave off at least one stringer so that the base frame can still be located.

Wings are going well, but fitting to the wing stubs on the fuselage is not easy and the parts appear to be a bit out, ie manufactured slightly wrong. for the second wing I will leave certain parts un glued before fitting the wing to the stub wing.

day4.jpg

Hello Chas,

My apologies for not responding to your post earlier.I've been travelling away (and no internet!) . I'll be back home on Tuesday and will have a look then. (you appear to have made very steady progress there ). I suspect I shall be the one contacting you for construction advice!

Thanks Trevor I always blame Predictive text!!!!

I do not want to give the wrong impression the kit is excellent. I just had a slight problem with the position on the plan, but I have left some items not glued for the second wing and this fitted perfectly and changing the sequence slightly. Now all glued and perfect. Sorry the picture is not too good as I took it in poor light.

Day5