Hobby drill ?

Advert

I have both corded and cordless Dremels , the cordless is an old 7.2volt and is probably used on a 100 to 1 basis with the corded. I think they now do a lithium powered one. I also keep a 12v cordless on the bench for heavier stuff. I find that the cord gets in the way and makes the tool feel unbalanced.

I have been using one of these for a couple of years and it is excellent:

**LINK**

It comes with a lot of useful accessories. The flexible drive is very useful for getting in tight places.

The chuck is worth buying as it make tool changes a lot easier then trying to find the right collet.

I bought the drill press, but this is not brilliant. I use it a lot, but the drill is not held firmly in place and it can wander, so not great for precision drilling. I am looking at buying a proper press drill for accurate work.

The 3000 series also looks good and is a bit cheaper. There are a lot of cheaper items around which will probably do a good job, hopefully the Dremel will payback in the long run with quality and the wide range of accessories that you can get.

good luck

dave

My Dremel cordless are brilliant, with Lipo batteries they last for ages. I have proper chucks fitted to both. The most useful aspect is the speed controller on each. I rarely use them on full speed. Old school or not I cannot understand why anyone would not consider cordless. Do you still have a corded phone? Bet your transmitter is cordless too.

Posted by roger graves on 06/11/2014 12:33:40:

If you go corded then beware the accys that you buy. The high speeds of the demel causes cheap wire brushes to launch their bristles like missiles, this is one of the many reasons that I prefer the cordless the lower speed makes them more controlable and less likely to burn the workpiece.

I agree you need to be careful, but there is a speed controller and the speed should be utilised with some empathy for the material and tool being used. You make a good point and I would always advise wearing eye protection with these tools.

You mean you can get 'em without??? cheeky

Posted by Andy48 on 06/11/2014 15:48:29:

My Dremel cordless are brilliant, with Lipo batteries they last for ages. I have proper chucks fitted to both. The most useful aspect is the speed controller on each. I rarely use them on full speed. Old school or not I cannot understand why anyone would not consider cordless. Do you still have a corded phone? Bet your transmitter is cordless too.

Got one of these one the way, thanks to all for answering! laugh

Posted by david fillingham 1 on 06/11/2014 12:23:46:

I have been using one of these for a couple of years and it is excellent:

**LINK**

It comes with a lot of useful accessories. The flexible drive is very useful for getting in tight places.

The chuck is worth buying as it make tool changes a lot easier then trying to find the right collet.

I bought the drill press, but this is not brilliant. I use it a lot, but the drill is not held firmly in place and it can wander, so not great for precision drilling. I am looking at buying a proper press drill for accurate work.

The 3000 series also looks good and is a bit cheaper. There are a lot of cheaper items around which will probably do a good job, hopefully the Dremel will payback in the long run with quality and the wide range of accessories that you can get.

good luck

dave