very new

trebor

Advert

Posted by trebor on 09/11/2014 08:57:26:

How can I find out about a legal public place is there a list somewhere ? Didn't realise you can take yourself off for a quick flying session, thought you were limited to club days and a flying schedule. Does this mean if I get affiliated through a club for BMFA the insurance cover would not cover me taking off on my own for a quick spin / session ?

I joined a club for my first year, to get a bit of help from instructors, but I already had joined the BMFA as a 'Country' member, which costs the same and gives the same insurance cover.

Large public parks or heath land should present no problems unless specific signs say no flying.

Flying within a football pitch sized area is, at my skill level, tricky at best, and areas surrounded by trees can be a big problem due to the tree's inherent magnetism. unfortunately, the club I joined is on National Trust land and has a restriction against single fliers purely for public safety, so that you have a spotter for walkers/cyclists/ etc.

I managed to get permission, from the farm manager, to fly from a field at the back of my workplace, partly due to the fact that I was able to assure him that I will only be flying electric assisted gliders. I told him I had insurance cover and offered my BMFA number if required. Though he didn't want it after all.

Posted by trebor on 09/11/2014 00:25:42:

Programable tx and the dx6i it's all confusing to me at the moment surprise

My opinion is, buy basic to start. If you are considering joining a club, ask which brand any instructors are using as it will help if you need to use a buddy lead to connect transmitters.

I went with a Hitec Optic 5 (basic but excellent quality) before going to the club and no one there was using one, so the few training flights I had there involved passing the TX from hand to hand. Not probs were caused though.

Edited By Chuck Plains on 09/11/2014 10:13:18

Posted by Percy Verance on 09/11/2014 10:08:30:

Good post Chuck, and a shining example of how to go about it....... yes

Thanx Percy. I never had insurance specific to RC before, in spite of my 30-odd years with cars and off-roaders. But I have always had insurance for windsurfing through the RYA, which even covers racing. Not that I'm a racer these days, I prefer to cruise along and look and not scare the ducks. face 23

Posted by Percy Verance on 09/11/2014 10:01:50:

I wouldn't fancy a gorilla full stop, irrespective of it being in my back yard........

Not even Phil Collins in a gorilla suit playing the drums?laugh

Trebor has gone quiet...do you think he's doing a spot of reading?

Edited By cymaz on 09/11/2014 10:38:20

Posted by Justin K. on 09/11/2014 08:01:03:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 08/11/2014 12:54:09:

Don't start out with a WW1 type aircraft, start off with a trainer - whether that be stinky smelly noisy messy outdated IC or Electric is a personal choice

Sorry but without wanting to spoil the thread What an absolutely pointless addition Dave?

Edited By Justin K. on 09/11/2014 08:03:03

Pointless? So you think it would be a god idea for him to start with a WW1 Type rather than a trainer? The choice between IC and Electric is indeed a personal choice, albeit in some cases dictated by flying site restrictions, the rest was a "sense of humour"

But back to the OP - Yes you can learn to fly alone, many people have done so, but I would still advise going the club route for many reasons, one the club will keep you on track as regards your responsibilities regarding the law (Air Navigation Order) - the bulk of the club fees will be BMFA membership and in my opinion its worth it for the insurance alone, again my local authority does permit flying in parks with suitable insurance.

Good clubs will be pleased to see you and spend the time with you to get you flying, help with equipment choices,flying instruction/buddy boxing and are an invaluable source of answers to the many questions you will have as you get into flying - its also quite a good social thing too (usually with a robust sense of humour)

Choices for trainers are bewildering - if you are going down the club route, then talk to your instructor what he thinks is a good trainer (after all he's going to be the one that saves the day when things go pear shaped)

For electric trainers there are models like the Eflite Apprentice, Hobbyking Trainstar, Bixler and many many more

I'll let others recommend IC trainers

Sorry chaps had to visit family this morning. Been looking at Southern Area Flying Club there is a Hampshire Model Flying Association Swap meet in Romsey next weekend, might try to sneak in and have a look about. Ask about the local area to me and what equipment they use.

If I bought a trainer Id still need the Radio gear, whats the max amount of channels will I need for this. 4 to 6 ? ultimately I have always fancied bi planes and tri planes. I know thats along way off but I've always been a dreamer smile

6 minimum . 8 better.

My channel set up

1. Aileron
  2. Elevator
  3. Throttle
  4. Rudder
  5. Retracts
  6. Aileron
  7. Isolate switch for petrol engine ( should you ever go down that route one day)
  8. Landing lights, bomb doors etc

See what Tx make everyone uses at the club you eventually join.

Edited By cymaz on 09/11/2014 13:27:01

To adjust my advice somewhat. If you do want to future proof your purchases, then you should buy the best transmitter you can afford. And in that case an 8 or more channel system should be your choice. A 6 channel system is good, but I have already found myself partly restricted with my recent Hitec Optic 6 even though all I have is gliders now, I feel I could have saved up a bit longer and gone for the Aurora 9. Warbirds need plenty of channels too. I'm counting them in my head now, ailerons/elevator/motor/rudder/landing gear, kill switch, flaps with proper adjustability, there's seven channels maxed out already. Then any future fancy extras like bomb bay doors, bomb release, gun turrets, flashing leds on machine guns, waving pilots and even sound systems (on electric powered models) . . . Well, you can see what I'm saying. wink 2

Edited By Chuck Plains on 09/11/2014 13:39:08

Posted by Justin K. on 09/11/2014 13:51:28:

Trebor, where are you based? I will probably be at the Romsey swap meet next week. No need to sneak in , all are welcome there.

That's good to know. I used to be a member of the National Scalextric Collectors Club and their swapmeets were strictly members only. Which I thought was bizarre.

Percy, CAP658 is advisory in the same sense that the Highway Code is advisory since there is a Road Traffic Act that is analogous to the ANO. If you are not operating in accordance with the guidance contained in CAP658 (Highway Code) you place yourself in a difficult situation that will count against you legally as you are not following best practice!

Edited By Peter Jenkins on 09/11/2014 14:39:05

Posted by Justin K. on 09/11/2014 13:51:28:

Trebor, where are you based? I will probably be at the Romsey swap meet next week. No need to sneak in , all are welcome there.

I'm just outside beastly Eastleigh. I take it I can't get in till after 12.00 ? Just to be on the safe side I'd better leave the other half at home laugh just in case she gets wind of how much this could cost !!

What's a TX ?

Club fees vary a lot because the major expense is hiring a field which obviously varies. Flying times vary too - longer hours & more days probably means higher fees. Some clubs charge excessive fees just to restrict membership!

Before choosing a make of transmitter decide on the club, because the club instructors will use a particular make for training and you will need the same make to use a buddy lead. Probably they will train on Spektrum ( Dx6 etc ) and /or Futaba but this varies due to local preferences. Same applies to Mode - some clubs train on Mode 1 ( throttle right) but many train on Mode 2 ( throttle left) So again choose your club first. It's not very handy to be the only person flying on the opposite Mode to other members

Buying secondhand engines and planes can be OK but buying radio gear from unknown sources is not a good idea because you cannot tell if it's been crashed or allowed to get wet etc. Buy radio gear new.