A bit of an upgrade !

John Morrall

Hi all - Well after a couple of months fiddling around with a Syma X5c toy quad & getting the feel of everything, plus hopefully getting most of the crashes out of the way? I actually love this little quad by the way, it's been a brilliant insight & has held up well (In very light winds)

Have now decided to go up a step & after a lot of searching have decided on a blade 350qx2.

Being located outside of the UK, I was having a lot of problems with delivery & was about to go the China route. However, finally found a model shop in Germany, who will deliver to Greece. Specs seem a little different to those advertised in the UK in that QX2 is listed with firmware 3.0 instead of the usual 2.0 ? Cannot find much other reference to this update, but as the shop was bundling together the quad with a spectrum DX6I for less than £300.00 I thought it was worth a go? Any thoughts ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - Now received this quad - Fast delivery from the German supplier (d-edition) & as there was no issue of problems with sending lipo batteries, this may be of use to anyone residing outside of the UK? will certainly use them in future, also the model I purchased was approx £50.00 cheaper than it's equivalent that I looked at via UK suppliers

Hi BEB - No not this spec. The kit is not the combo, which does have the camera etc. Mine was a BNF but with a Spectrum DX6i thrown in. I actually would have liked the RTF due to my general inexperience, but that was linked to a DX4e. Having read on here that the DX6i was a good intro to computer TX's...I just need to do a fair bit more reading etc to try to make sense of it all & hopefully gain a good deal of information on the way. With the way cameras are progressing, I shall leave this until later & add as necessary, after I have gained enough knowledge to decide on the best set up for me. So many people seem to be diving into FPV these days & I have to admit that the idea is quite fascinating, however, learn to walk before run eh (or at least not to crash too much)face 7

TBH in GPS or ATTI mode you will find hardly any use for anything beyond four simple channels - the flight controller will do everything you require. But once you start trying to fly in MANUAL mode you will find a computer radio very useful.

Most quads in this mode are very much more sensitive in roll and pitch than they are in yaw - so being able to de-sensitise the first two slightly can be a real boon and assist you in learning stable flight. Also, most multi-rotors descend rapidly under yaw when in manual - becuase of a reduction in overall lift. You can of course correct this by adding a little more throttle with any yaw input - but its handy to be able to do this automatically via a mix. Finally you might find in manual mode that the throttle is very sensitive around the hover - and so being able to incorporate a throttle curve in your Tx is useful.

All good fun! Enjoy yourself. Get used to in stabilised modes first and then explore manual.

BEB

• 1 month later...

Ok... Done the prelimanary stuff, spent several hours on a simulator with a blade 350qx & amazed how easy it is to fly, in what seems to be stability mode on the sim. Set up the quad on the dx6i with not a lot of problem & then managed to arm the motors & get all up & running without too much of a hassle...Amazing considering the problems a lot of folk seem to have listed ! Anyway, test runs done at low altitude & in different modes to check all is ok & to prove the elecronics & controls. Bored with the safe mode, but can understand the reason for it. Using now in stability mode & all performs well. A question though, if I may ? Anyone have an idea as to the approx range that would be expected with this machine with the dx6i radio, with alkaline batteries at full capacity ? I would hazzard a guess at perhaps 4-500 metres, but would appreciate the advices of you good folk.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

assuming this is the BNF version then it depends much more on what receiver you installed than it does the DX6i. With a full range receiver the DX6i would have a range that is much much further than you can see this quad from! Perhaps upto about 2km! But if a parkfly type receiver is fitted then yes 200-300m or so would be the safe limit. That's still a very long way away for such a small quad!

BEB

PS remember that legally you cannot fly it further than 500m away anyway - that is the CAA's definition of max range with unaided vision!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/01/2015 18:48:15

I would assume, unless you have other info, that the built in Rx would be a Parkflyer type of limited range - as I say 300m or so. But unless you have much better eyesight than me that's probably far enough! smile

BEB

PS The job we have been asked to do is at the Royal Tombs of Phillip II at Vergina in nothern Greece. We hope to fly a number of aerial surveys over the site and then do some 3D data capture of various elements. The data is destined to help build a virtual reality model of the site.

100_2301.jpgI wouldn't imagine my eyesight is better than yours BEB, but at my advanced age, I manage to get by well with a white stick wink

That would seem to be nice job you have got yourself there surveying the tombs, we are way south of this, but there is a beer called vergina  that I know quite well. laugh

At this stage I doubt very much that I shall exceed the range that you mention, on the field below us I have flown in "Safe mode" which limits the flight envelope to 45 metres altitude & about 100 metres distance, with stick relativity. When switched to the next mode "Stability" the limit is lifted & orientation is needed. I have so far pushed the quad out to about 150 metres at a guess & find that for me, at this stage, it's probably the limit of orientation. I shall persevere & hopefully after a few more flights be able to trust fully the equipment controls. Always have this sneaky feeling that something won't happen as it should, which is disconcerting with a bit of kit that has the gliding ability of a brick !

Edited By John Morrall on 02/01/2015 11:19:25

Edited By John Morrall on 02/01/2015 11:20:26

Edited By John Morrall on 02/01/2015 11:33:47