English Electric Canberra

Simon Chaddock

The tail section fixed to the wing.

Wing & tail joined

It is starting to look a bit more like a Canberra.

With the half shell nose section built over the plan the other half of the formers are added.

Nose half shell

The 'solid' former (No1) it temporary and will be removed once the planking is complete.

As the nose will not carry anything it is being built as a true monocoque with a 'solid' canopy to save weight and even that is part of the stressed skin structure.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas. smile

With the ESC installed the wing can be covered.

Wing tissue and ESC

The 10A ESC had is shrink wrap cut off so the motor wires could be soldered directly to it. It was also given a small heat sink which is open to the airflow.

I now have a problem in that due to my own mistake I managed to 'kill' the left aileron servo. No great loss as they are only £2.54 at HK except "back order" in both the UK and Europe warehouses! So I am faced with a China delivery (4 to 6 weeks) for a replacement. smile o and I cant finish the wing until the new servo is in!

The HK China depot is taking just less than 2 weeks at present. I have received over the Christmas period a number of the HXT900, mx95E, in separate orders.

Now the B36 is one of those builds i would like to see. The trouble is, once built, what can you do, just trundle around?

Erfolg

I was rather hoping the China delivery would speed up after Christmas.

Just trundle around? That sounds like a challenge! wink 2

At model sizes there is no reason why a B36 should not loop and roll (slowly!) or fly inverted come to that.

Build the prototype and it had huge single wheel undercarriage. Good for grass.

**LINK**

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 31/12/2014 17:02:32

But Simon! That is all they did, hour after hour.

Anything else is like watching a Spitfire knife edging, or going as fast as a jet, not the done thing, in my book.

Now the Canberra, rolling yes!, Looping, hmmm, a maybe, knife edge no! As fast as a jet, must be true. The only dodgey thing, is flying it so high that you cannot see it, although commercials out of Ringway might

Now the Canberra, rolling yes!, Looping, hmmm, a maybe,

No maybe about it. At RAF Laarbruch in 1970 I regularly saw a Canberra do a full aerobatic schedule for display purposes. Sadly, a friend of mine was killed in one not long after I left. He got a ride either to Cyprus or while in Cyprus for a detachment, and the plane went into the runway.

When sailing (actually more like drifting) across the channel about 25 years ago in warm sunny and calm conditions with nothing in sight when we were 'buzzed' by a Canberra. (Solid nose all silver)

First flew over at 2000 ft and then reappeared from astern low, very low. Passed about 150 ft to the side and at mast height. Pilot looked across, waved and pulled up into a steep climb, opened the taps and soon was out of sight.

I guess he just couldn't resist it!

The orange 4ch micro gyro radio in position under the wing.

4ch gyro radio

This will be covered by a substantial hatch that will also allow the battery to be slid in forwards to a battery box.

Unlike my normal builds full access to the radio is essential to be able to adjust the gyro gain as a result of test flying.

So far the ESCs and servos have been tested with normal servo connectors in place but obviously these will have to be changed (and the leads shortened as required) to micro JST to test the radio.

Just waiting for the replacement aileron servo to finish it off. wink 2

Simon

I take it you are changing the JST plug? I think you will pull nearly 30 amps, JST are good for what, about 10 amps?

Many years ago at Mildenhall I had the opportunity on a open day to talk to the crew of a UK, Canberra. The overall impression that the cockpit arrangements were less than ideal, the other positions being equally as cosy. I wonder if the USA version was more friendly for the crew.

Erfolg

Each motor draws 7A so I reckon I can just about get away with a JR. In fact on a full power test it was the factory fitted battery wires that got just warm to the touch not the JR connector. wink 2

From what I can find out it would appear that the state of RAF Canberra cockpit depended on the number of equipment upgrades (of which there were many) coupled with the fact that there was access to the nose on the bomber versions which made the inside of the fuselage visible.

The B57 cockpit was of course totally enclosed so none of the 'stuff' in the fuselage could be seen.

The battery box built into the lower part of the fuselage former.

Battery box

It extends over 2 formers.

The battery slides in.

1000mah 2s

This is not the actual flight battery but the 30c 950mAh Nanotach is the same size (according to HK!)

With the battery in place it balances at exactly 30% root chord which 'feels' about right to me. Famous last words! wink 2

The radio has been tested and the gyros work, although the degree of surface deflection even at maximum gain is surprisingly small. The gyros also switch off using the 'flap' switch.

Next is the hatch.

• 2 weeks later...

With the delivery (at last) of the servo and flight battery work can resume on the Canberra.

Now structurally complete.

Complete and covered

given the absolutely dreadful weather at the moment I might as well paint it in the appropriate 'night intruder' camouflage. I have found an all black underside actually stands out very well in day light!wink 2

32" Span (810 mm) and weighs 7oz (198g) ready to go. I would expect the paint to add no more than 1/2oz.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 17/01/2015 01:04:24

Looking at the Canberra and knowing that Bill Petter's previous design was the Westland Welkin does make the mind "boggle" slightly! Talk about a quantum leap in thinking. While still at Westland he had considered converting the Welkin to jet engines, probably not a good idea. Also when you think that while he had deliberately set the tailplane high on the Whirlwind and Welkin to keep them out of disturbed airflow and blanketing effects from the wing, he didn't consider it necessary on the Canberra to do the same thing and clearly it wasn't. At the same time the smaller but similar in many ways Meteor did have the Westland type high tail, but Gloster didn't consider it necessary on the single engined "Ace". All very intriguing.

It looks as if you've got another good flyer on your hands here Simon.

A bit of a gap as painting always seems to take ages but it is now virtually finished.

Complete painted

As I feared the paint and glossy finish (well sort of!) is quite heavy adding 0.4oz (12g) or about 6% of its 'all up' weight of 7.5 oz.(213g).

Not entirely happy with although I expect that will change if it flies nicely!

Just need some passable weather.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 22/01/2015 20:19:12