ASP 61FS C-Clip removal

Jack Banner

Hi,

I am trying to change the head assembly (pn 61103f) on an ASP61FS. This involves removing 2 c-clips holding valves into the old head. I have managed to remove c-clips before using a small flat screwdriver but am having no luck with these as the clips are recessed slightly.

I really wanted some c-clip pliers but have struggled to find any that specify (in a way I can understand!) the sizing so I can be sure they will fit.

I did find these but cant be sure they are delicate enough:

**LINK**

Has anyone succeeded in doing this with a screwdriver or does anyone know where I can buy a set of pliers, preferably with interchangeable heads, that will work for RC engine / motor sized clips?

all suggestions appreciated.

Advert

Jack

You probably don't need special tooling to sort this out. I've worked on Saito, OS, SC and ASP 4 strokes of various sizes without needing C clip pliers.

The C-clips are indeed recessed into collets as you say. You just need to push the collet down the valve stem (and compress the valve spring) and the c-clip will then be totally exposed and in my experience can just be pushed off with finger pressure.

All it takes is a bit of manual dexterity and be sure to do it all inside a clear plastic bag (I use freezer bags) so you can see what you are doing but not lose any parts if a tiny clip or collet pings off...

What you will likely find is that the collets (not c clips as the asp's have collets...well all mine always have) have worn in the collet retainer and that's why they appear to be recessed. You can either buy new ones, or sit the head on something so the valve cant move down and get a socket (from a socket set) that's just small enough to not fit over the collet retainer. Push down hard to free everything then slowly release. Once the 'seal' is broken it should come apart more easily

Edited By Jon Harper on 30/11/2014 23:08:20

• 3 weeks later...