Most helpful museum?

Dave Hopkin

Having watched several of the Depron big builds (TSR2 & T26 Texan etc) I am inspired and as its winter and the flying field is doing a good imitation of a primordial swamp albeit sadly lacking in the tropical heat I reckon now is as good a time as any....

Sooooooooo after mooching through a zillion web pages (NO not that sort!) I happened upon this hairyplane which appealed...

Cover of Maty Modelarz

Why, well its a bit quirky, its unusual, and it has many Texanesque qualities to allow blatant and unashamed plagiarism of Philip Rawlinson and the Electrifiers work (and not forgetting other stolen gems from Tony Bennets TSR2 and his new "park flyer" Trent Metor)

But I couldn't find very much about it at all, so as a last resort I emailed the Polish Airforce Museum - 2 days later I have a zipped collection of 1:33 scale drawings (profiles and cutaways) all the templates and (polish) text to make a 1:33 scale card airplane, photos of every page of the 1930's pilot instructions with cockpit photos and more....

How much you ask (or dont cos you probably dozed off by now...) zilch, zip nowt.....

All the ask is if I find anything they havent got can they have a copy!

Well this may/may not turn into a build log as the excuse that its "my first go at Depron" will be a superb way of hiding my own ineptitude...

So time to get out the paper and pencil and scale the thing out.....

Advert

Only kidding Tony, I want you input! never done a depron thing before so I expecte its going to be a catalogue of my idea and then you saying "That a brave decision Dave, I would have done XYZ" !!!!

Not a lot will happen for a few weeks, while I draw up the beastie, then I plan to use the depron profile and half formers to do the fus shape - wings will be a central section with two outer panels joined on

Current idea is to base the centre section around 2 hardwood bearers going right across the centre section, to act as main u/c bearers and to anchor the dihedral braces into the outer wing.... the spat will hide a music wire u/c leg with a single "sping" turn in it, the spat will also hid a upward curved piano wire strut from the main leg to the rear bearer allowing it to flex as a spring inside the strut housing, the two bearers joined together in a crosswise ladder fashion with bearers for the backward turn of the main u/c leg

What a fantastic looking subject and a great result from the museum.

I can't wait to see how this project develops. It stunning even though it almost looks like something from a Tin Tin story.

Great result from the museum. Wonder what their email inbox will be like over the next few day. Heavily bombarded with requests for information from UK modellers ?

Ok, decided to keep things simple, so going for a Clark Y section (the original wasn't exactly a speedster) to

Wing construction have in mind is:

Central 6mm Depron sheet

6mm Blasa Spars at 30% Chord Line

6mm Spar on the aileron line (projected down to the root

Light and hollowed out balsa tips

Depron Ribs cut in half lengthways (less 3mm either side of chord line) either side of the inner core

Sheeted in 3mm Depron

Now if it were a balsa build I would put shear webs between top and bottom spars... so should I put a 3x6mm "false spar" on both sides of the inner 6mm sheet to form anchor point for web spars or not?

Sane?????

i dont think there is a need to do that.

what i do is a 6mm central sheet with spars at the 30% point on either side of the core sheet, then the half ribs on top of them with a 6x6mm balsa hinge spar and just sheet over the top with 3mm sheet.

the strength is in the outer skin all the rest is there to support the skin.