Home Made Wing Bags

Johnny Kirkham

Hi guys Im wanting to make some home made wing bags. Some of my wings are quiet large (1/4 scale) and I have quiet a few to make. I was just wondering what materials you are using, where you get the materials from and cost etc.....

Im looking for some bubble wrap type of stuff thats about 500mm wide as my large wigs are about 450mm wide.

Your thoughts, pics and links apprieciated folks.....

Regards Johnny

Advert

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 08/12/2014 17:18:15:

I have used this **LINK** with Gaffer Tape for mine, but keep an eye on Lidyl and Aldi as they sometimes stock the same stuff at about half the price

B&Q sell far better stuff than this. **LINK** This is basically bubblewrap with foil either side. Far more robust than the stuff suggested by Dave, although more expensive.

Easy to stick with duct tape and self adhesive velcro.

I used this stuff from Wickes, it's 600mm wide. Rather than use gaffer tape, I welded my bags together, it's much neater and very strong. To weld them, use an (old) iron on maximum heat, lay the 2 pieces of material with the non-foil sides together and iron the foiled side, putting quite a bit of pressure on the iron; if you hear the bubbles gently pop, then you've got it hot enough and are using enough pressure. The foil layer stops the material from sticking to the iron, but if your overlaps don't line up properly, you can end up with a messy iron! I use a travel iron rather than the household's main iron or my covering iron.

Yes agreed Andy ! Johnny, the double sided silver foil stuff is far more superior and worth the extra cost. When I've used the other type with the clear bubble wrap on the inside it soon rips, especially if you remove or insert a wing with an aileron standing slightly proud of the wing surface it catches the bubbles inside the bag, same applies to control horns/clevises, but the double sided foil type seems to resist damage better. I also use it for glider wing bags, but rather than make two, one for each wing, I make a single bag roomy enough to take both wings with a single sheet of the material gaffer taped inside down the middle to separate the two wings. Just remember to allow a little more room inside.

I usually prefer to use silver gaffer tape. I try and pick a couple of rolls up whenever I'm at a carboot sale, or cheap tool stalls at outside markets, or at the £1 bargain type shops, or even cheap tool stalls at the model shows . Much cheaper than buying at big name DIY stores.

Ronaldo