servos

Hi everyone.

I am fairly new to the sport, well just getting back into it after many years out. I used to have a glider/trainer with a very small cox engine with an internal fuel tank. Back then I always wanted an extra 330 so at the age of 29 I have decided to buy a seagull extra 300 size 60. I realise that this is beyond my skill set so I have also brought a 4 channel Phoenix x to get back into the sport whilst I build my extra 300.

The question I have for you all is what servos do I use in it? As I need 6, I don't want to spend a fortune on digital ones with metal gears as I don't think I would notice the difference, not at my level anyway. I just want some good reliable servos that are suitable for the 60 size acrobatic plane.

I would very much appreciate everyone's advise on this.

Thanks in advance

Advert

Thank you for your replies. I was looking at getting the Hitec HS430BH high voltage servos as I have checked and my Rx can handle it. They state that these servos are suitable for 21-60 size planes so I am hoping that they will do the trick. I have managed to get them at just under ?9 each, which for the spec is very reasonable price.

JR 591's don't work with 6v. They are 4.8v only and might burn out if using a Lipo or a 5 cell NIMH.

Rule of thumb: Go for the best servos you can afford. Using cheapos is not worth it, as a member at our club lost a plane for a sake of a couple of £5 servos. Bit silly spending £300 on an airframe and engine and installing a weak link, such as a cheap switch or dodgy servo just to save some money and losing the whole lot as a result.

Not logical

For servos, Hitec 645MG, or the Htec HS430BH that Russel suggested, more than enought power and can handle high voltage.You might want a more higher power one for the rudder, as it's only 4.1kg and fine for normal stuff, but for doing knife edge, a 10KG servo is required - and don't forget to use a decent battery pack, not a low capcity or old one.

JR 591's are 4.8v only. Period. You might get away with it, maybe not. Also a RCME review model crashed a few years ago when the 591 servos burnt out when using 6v. Don't know who it was, but was here.

The manufacturer states :"With plenty of torque and ample speed, the NES591 is the perfect budget everyday servo. Supplied with mounting hardware and additional servo output arms. The NES591 can only be used at 4.8v."

http://www.macgregor.co.uk/jrpropo/NES591.htm

Basic Information

Modulation: Analog
Torque:

4.8V:

71.0 oz-in (5.11 kg-cm)
Speed:

4.8V:

0.24 sec/60°
Weight: 1.34 oz (38.0 g)
Dimensions:

Length:

1.52 in (38.6 mm)

Width:

0.75 in (19.1 mm)

Height:

1.18 in (30.0 mm)
Motor Type: ? (add)
Gear Type: Plastic
Rotation/Support: Single Bearing

Edited By Paul Marsh on 17/12/2014 18:28:18

I've got the Seagull 90/120 Yak. I use Hitec 5485digis.

In reallity i'd go for Hitec standard 400 size servos, or JR 591, or Futaba 3001. A lot of people over do servos, as unless you are doing a lot of hi 'G' 3D flying or blow back flying, i.e. lots of tail slides etc, then you don't really need hi Volt, hi torque.

I've done a bench test on Hitec 645 MG servos. 4.8V and 6v. At 4.8v the servo move across the bench, at 6v it jumps across the bench. Transfer that torque to an airframe, especially a light ARTF with balsa mounting and under load, in theory the servo could rip itself loose. Its only as good as its mounting.

Id go for hitec!

CB