Looking for a brushless heli'

Graham Ashby 123

Advert

Hi Steve, about £300 max. 400 or 600? Don't really mind if it's a tidy machine, although duration and an ability to fly gentle aerobatics straight from the box is more important to me than out-and-out performance (I'm never going to be a 3D flyer!). Obviously I'm aware of the T-Rex, Twister, Century Swift, Zoom etc., but was interested in general feedback on other examples. Heck there's so many out there. If I'm honest I guess the bigger the better and if there's a scale fuselage conversion in the offing that would probably swing it. Any thoughts?

Graham
There are quit a few scale bodies for the Trex450, I've got a Bell222 one fitted to my ARK400 that I bought over 12 months ago from from East Lancs Models (www.trex450.co.uk)It was a clear moulding that I had to spray but it looks good. They have a nice looking Airwolf that comes prepainted (It's also on Midland heli site) a bit expensive at £70+ but it may be worth it!
As for the model I think it's a matter of personal choice as ther's not much to choose between them and there are upgrades appearing all the time

I'm looking at the Hummingbird Elite 3D Pro. It's sort of in between an indoor and outdoor heli and is designed for 3D. This doesn't necessarily mean you would have to fly 3D indeed the large throws and collective pitch would help outdoors. They are only £200 without tx from either centuryuk.co.uk or SMC so they represent excellent value for money. As I said, I'm looking at one to replace my training model (Twister Bell 47) that has been flying for over a year now. The only trouble is I'm bored with it!

Thunder Tiger Mini Titan every time! Very stable, mine when flown indoors will hover "hands off sticks" for a while. Parts are very cheap. And the Heli can be got ARTF compleat with BLess mtotr and 40 Amp ESC for around £190. Check the forums Helifreak and runryder and you wiil see the same story, people selling there T Rex 450s and buying the Mini Titan.
By the way I dont have any thing against Align Helicoptors, After learning to fly with my Mini Titan next up is a T Rex 600! Just the battery packs holding me back at the mo at £200 a time!!!

A friend has a scale Airwolf with retracts on a trex heli and it does not fly well, It seems to heavy for a heli that size (450 size) you need to be thinking larger for scale. But then I did see a everything in the box jet ranger micro size heli for about £100!

• 4 months later...
Hi Graham,

I have the E-Sky Belt CP and this has proven a great heli for me. This would seem to meet the criteria you specify in the first post though can be upgraded later with the shiny aluminium bits. Scale bodies are available either E-sky brand or aftermarket producers. I'm in the middle of putting a Jet Ranger body on mine (vac formed by Darth). Simple bodies and light but can be very effective. See here.

I don't think you will find any heli in this size that is really comfortable in the wind. The Mini Titan and T-Rex are both very good platforms but the Belt is worth considering.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does that £300 include batteries, Tx etc?

Gyro + tail servo: £100

Cyclic servos: £60

2100mAh 3s battery: £30

T-Rex 450X: from revolution models: £100 An old model, but would still fly OK

Total: £290 not including the radio and charger. Probably £40 for a PCM or 2.4 ghz Rx. I don't think I've missed anything - the T-Rex should come with blades, ESC and motor.

You can build one considerably cheaper than that - perhaps £20 for cyclic servos and £50 for a cheap gyro and tail servo. But I think this would be false economy. I've never broken a 65mg servo, whereas other people seem to break cheap servos all the time. Metal parts on the small helis break or bend very rarely - the main shafts bend and the feathering spindles can end up like spaghetti. Plastic parts break much more frequently. Ebay for cheap tailbooms and other parts - often costs 2-3x less and quality is fine for us beginners.

K