Depron 134" Lancaster.

Ian101

John, I should possibly have done the wings slightly differently. Lack of experience! The droop was only in the wing/fuselage join area where they slide onto the aluminium tubes. That's sorted now and there is no twisting once the skins are on. I did put the control horns on the ailerons close to centre to try to eliminate or reduce any twist in operation, but they seem quite strong anyway.

As for the foam, I have only used standard grade depron, 3mm & 6mm in both white and grey. I don't know much about other foams. In fact, I don't know much about anything really but that's life.laugh

Tony, thanks but it's not that good.

Advert

Posted by onetenor on 05/04/2015 04:45:28:

You seem to know your foams .can you tell me what the different types are what they are used for and where do I get them from. Thanks John

The foam is trade named "Depron" its a cellular structure foam polystyrene extrusion (the core looks like a minature aero chocolate bar) it comes is two grades "Standard" and "Areo" though rumour has it the supply of Aero will dry up soon

I have never used 9mm - the 6mm is used for structural formers - thinner for skinning

6mm bends a bit but not that much, 2 and 3mm can be formed (slowly) round very tight curves and with care worked into compound curves

All depron can be sanded to a very good finish but edges (ie trailing edges) are very fragile and need some protection or a balsa strip

The model shop sources I know and use are as follows

Steve Webb (Near Chester)

Nitroflight (Doncaster)

Leeds Model shop (Leeds)

Balsamart Blackburn (sometimes)

Mail ordered form any of the above (except Nitroflight) or direct from Depron UK

---------

Ian looking amazing...... keep going its going to look awe inspiring in the air

• 4 weeks later...

Where did that month go?

A little more progress for your perusal!

I have started the nacelles, but thought I would alter the shapes slightly to make them a little more scale. Having spent ages messing around with the drawings, I am not sure if they are better or worse, but hopefully nobody will notice either way. As before, mainly pictures as I am a man of few words.

The esc's should all be in the air flow through the radiator grill and out of the back as the original. None of the fronts are glued on yet. I left them unglued until a trial assembly was done to make sure they are all vertical when the plane is assembled.

Power wires are pulled through one wing. I need to do the other wing and a bit of soldering before I can start to skin the nacelles. At that point I will find out if I should have left the shape alone!!

All of the propellers seem to be straight and square as well.

That's probably it for another month. At least it is now starting to look a bit more like a Lancaster.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments gents. Dave, I think I may have to find another field as ours has a very short grass strip, but I'll worry about that in a few months time.

It's been a difficult few weeks for various reasons, but managed to get a little more done.

I have skinned the nacelles and given them a rough fill and sand. Quite pleased how they turned out, but will have a better idea when the vents underneath are on and the exhaust stubs are on. I prefer to see the exhausts, but the covered ones would be easier. Anybody got any easy way of making 48 exhausts that won't challenge my patience. I have googled 1/9th Merlin exhausts hoping to buy some, but drew a blank!

As previous, not many words, just some pictures.

I feel like I have broken the back of it now even though there is still a lot to do. I will make a start on the tail and hopefully update in the not too distant future!!

Regards

Ian

That looks fabulous Ian, really nice.

Re the exhausts, making a mould sounds like the best way forward, probably a single left and right stub could then be used to create a stack of six, left and right. Make a mold from these to create four sets? Its quicker to do than you would think

Cheers

Danny

How about making a wooden plug and either vacuum forming (or just stretching) them out of a pop bottle or a sheet of polycarbonate. It might take a bit of experimentation but once you have mastered the technique it might be quicker and less messy than moulding them. Just my 2p worth.

Hey, that looks good Colin.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/06/2015 21:54:06

Thanks for the comments and sugestions.

Colin, your exhausts look good and is probably the easiest solution, but I will have a read of Danny's article first.

Shane, thanks for the kind offer. I will see how I get on with the other ideas first, but I have read a bit about making your own vac forming machine and it may be useful in the future.

Dave, are you the guy responsible for that amazing 20' Vulcan? What a machine that is!

I'm sure that's the best thing to do Ian, Danny has loads of experience on things like this. I thought I'd mention it in case you got stuck though. This model is 1/10 scale, so it's close to your 1/9. Although heat shrink tube is flexible, at these lengths it's stiff enough, took minutes to do with cyano and looks better than I expected, so could be a fall-back option for you.

That Lancaster looks fantastic and with the guaranteed light weight should be a stunning flyer. From being a complete Depron sceptic I'm becoming quite keen, although I like the idea of identifying the places where strength is needed and inserting balsa strategically. We can get really light and strong structures that way. The opportunity to make something as big as your Lancaster is some way off for me though, but when I have finished the XB42 and Chipmunk projects I will get back to the Supermarine 317 I have started and incorporate more Depron into that using the experience I am gaining with it. That is 1/16 scale, the same as the Nihuis Lancaster, so moving up the size scale.

I am not sure how accurate you need these to be Ian and also what version you are modelling, but my only concern with using heatshrink tupe is it isn't accuarate as the lanc has shaped exhausts, hence a left and a right would need carving innitially

Of course, like the Mossie, there was a version with shrouds, that might be easier

Cheers

Danny