Launching Techniques in Gale Force Winds

I'm a fairly recent newcomer to Slope Soaring and am enjoying it as a great option to flying off a flat strip. So far our small group has had great fun flying in wind speeds up to 35 knots with no real launching problems. Our efforts to launch in winds above 40 knots have so far not gone too well! Our models all have a decent wing loading so should be more than capable in which case we must be going wrong with the launch technique for these high wind speeds. What's the best technique to master gale force winds....any suggestions?

Advert

Launching on your lonesome or having a buddy launch?
Either way, one technique is to launch from slightly down the slope, just a few yards will make a big difference.
Launch with the wings dead level slightly nose down, and be ready for a very rapid climb and the possibility that the model might come flying backwards towards yourself - push out quickly.
Some people ballast heavily - personally I don't like ballast and try to avoid it. Each to his own, mIne have all been flown in 60+ without (Phase6, Heron, Wildthing). Big winds are fantastic fun, launching is the hard part!

Cheers
Phil

Cheers Phil. Buddy launching with the bigger winds. Sounds like good advice. Too date we have probably launched to high up the slope with the model flying back overhead - not pretty! I'm flying a 3m Fox & a 2m Flip but have been careful so far to avoid the big winds. My pal has a Phase 6 which suffered badly with our poor technique. Taking your advice will try a launch with the buddy around 10 metres ahead and down the slope a tad. Many thanks for the advice!

Posted by Slidemaster on 03/01/2015 00:32:08:

Cheers Phil. Buddy launching with the bigger winds.

In that case you get your bud to walk down the hill a little way, keeping the model facing into wind and nose down all the way. At the chosen spot he very carefully raises the model keeping the nose down all the time. If he lets the nose up it will rip from his hand. He prepares to launch with his right hand holding the fus well forward towards the nose than usual, left hand steadying the left wingtip (don't damage the ailerons) then he waits for your nod. He does not launch without. Check ailerons, rudder, down elevator (don't try up!) then give the nod.  He gives a really strong fast push towards a point well below the horizon. The push gives you a few yards of penetration head start, and better control response. The left hand ensures theres no turbulence-induced flick as he lobs it. In a strong wind it will follow the nose. Response will be good because you're launching in a compression - the air is thicker down there where it hits the slope, compared to the top where it rounds over the hill, speeding up & thinning out as it does so.
Main thing is to be on the ball - be ready with instant corrections. Then let it rip & have some fun!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 03/01/2015 01:47:25

Above will work well, until you are standing on a cliff...................... wink 2.

I have found then (while solo as is usual for me) that you have to stand as close to the edge as is safe (be careful of buffet!!) and hurl it out and downwards at near 30 degrees, not bringing it up to level or more until its moving at reasonable speed. Helps to have large orbs.........

Now I've got a pretty good idea on how to launch in big winds any issues to consider with the landing? At the moment I would assume the wind speed would pretty much stall the model without resorting to crow or spoilers so turn at the last minute and simply stall the model close to the ground? I guess I'll soon find out! Oh.....and be ready to grab the model before it cartwheels away!

Edited By Slidemaster on 03/01/2015 13:34:23

High winds actually make slope landings easier but if you're landing behind the hill, lose plenty of height out front without building up too much speed, get below eye level. Don't do a conventional approach, instead drift left & right, turning very slightly more than 180 each time so the model drifts back a bit further with every tack. You only need to get down to about 10 feet, the hill will do the rest. Be prepared for the rotor where the weight of all that air comes pounding down again - and not smoothly! Oh and absolutely do not stall it... keep the speed on!

For slope landings, get down below eye level again, keep doing tight, steep turns just over 180 degrees so you're not climbing but drifting back up the hill... repeat until you happen to be turning at about 10' and no more than 30' away - the trick is to time the last turn so you get a coincidence of zero groundspeed, no more than 6' height, and a soft patch to arrive on... then push in down ele, not a dive, just a gentle descent, if you're too high it will speed up so go around again.
It takes lots of practise but is very satisfying once mastered and the knack opens up all sorts of otherwise dodgy slopes.

Cheers
Phil

PS forgot to say, once its down, hold full down ele until you've collected the model.

Edited By Phil Green on 04/01/2015 01:00:39

Strong wind doesn't make landings easier in slope soaring. It doesn't really make anything easier. Not least rigging the model. surprise

The easiest wind to land is probably around 10mph at a guess, depending on the slope, where the head wind is strong enough to stop the model, but not strong enough to make the circuit critical. Nevermind the reality that strong winds create a lot more turbulence and gusts. it's way harder to land in a genuine 50mph wind on most slopes that a light wind. You will see way more crashed landings in strong wind that light wind. The downwind leg catchs people out time and time again.

disgust I'm not sure if the running backwards comment was a leg pull, but forward motion is best.

Well, I guess we all fly different slopes, different styles of model, and have different experiences. I fly traditional kippers with no landing aids such as crow and I've found that at sites I've flown where slope landings are essential, the lack of ground speed that a strong wind permits makes slope landings easier than in light winds with the consequent higher groundspeed.

I would also suggest that in a strong wind the idea of a square approach with a downwind leg be abandoned in favour of overtacking to drift the model to a downwind position.

When your experiences are questioned there always seems to be an associated challenge to justify any advice given - all I can say is that both Tom and myself are both long-experienced slope-soaring enthusiasts, with different opinions - so all you can do is try these ideas and see what works for you!

Cheers
Phil

PS   Yes I also thought Ernies suggestion was in jest... I hope so!

Edited By Phil Green on 12/01/2015 14:52:04

Phil, I agree with a lot of what you said, but I can't say that I think it's easier to land in winds over 40knots (45mph+) than it is in moderate conditions, overall and on average. That's just my opinion based on experience of flying myself and watching other people. It's not meant as a slight.

The rotor alone in some places is crazy. e.g the wrecker or crest at the bwlch you have to walk back several hundred yards. Once you get past a certain point it's hard to even carry the model back to the "pits"!

You make a very good point about downwind legs on landing.

Ah perhaps its me using term 'slope landings' thats causing confusion then Tom. By that I meant sites where you have to land on the slope, frontside, in lift - where there is no rotor, and where there is no option to 'walk back several hundred yards' .

Sorry if I was unclear, those particular comments were just about slope landings, of course on a site with a decent landing area behind... no problem (other than rotor, turbulence, rocks, bogs, walkers, sheep...)