Eflite, Turnigy or other for Radian?

Simon Hall 2

I have 2 Radians, both were fitted with the original Eflite ESC. I broke an ESC in a crash and replaced it with a Turnigy unit which I picked up as it was a lot cheaper than the Eflite and seemed ok based on reviews.

I am looking to buy another ESC as a spare, so wondered if anyone had any suggestions on a good, cheap reliable replacement. The Eflite has had la fair bit of use and has been fine, the Turnigy has only been used once. The Turnigy was a lot cheaper, but I had to solder the connectors on, which I don't really mind. I'm not sure of the long term reliability and performance differences between these two ESC's. One of my planes now has a couple of extra bits plugged in, the spektrum vario and telemetry modules, but I was under the impression that this would not make a difference to my choice of ESC.

esc.jpg

Advert

Eflite stuff is top notch BUT very expensive, I have turnigy motors and LiPo;s and never had a problem with them so I have no think  reason to think they are inferior - I usually get my ESC (and most motors) from 4Max - good quality and reasonably priced with fast delivery times to boot - **LINK**

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 12/01/2015 17:12:39

I've settled on the Hobbywing Pentium/Flyfun range for many of my models and they've been very reliable for me. I've no experience of the E-Flite range so I don't know if they're worth the extra cost.

The vario and tele shouldn't put much extra demand on the BEC - servo numbers are more critical. That 40A Plush (re-badged Hobbywing Pentium) has a switching BEC and will be fine for up to 4 servos on 3S. I personally use a separate BEC if I'm using than 4 servos, so if you have flaps on the Radian I'd recommend one.

Others will say that they manage with the ESC's BEC but I attribute my complete absence of brownout (loss of power) problems to being cautious and not making any more demands on the ESC than necessary. For the sake of a fiver, a separate BEC is little to pay for peace of mind.

Pete

Most of my models are equipped with Hobbywing ESCs which I've used for a number of years & found very reliable.
IMO an ESC programing card is an amost essential tool to have, the HW/Turnigy one is cheap & easy to use.

I only ever use the built in BEC & just make sure that any model with more than 3 servos has an ESC with a switch mode BEC. IIRC all Hobbywing ESCs 40A & over have switch mode BECs.
IMO a seperate BEC would be overkill in a Radian.

I'm flying my Radian Pro with the original ESC, but I've had good service from Turnigy Plush ESC's (which is what you have) in other models, & you can get a programming card for a few quid

my RP has FrSky GPS/vario/voltage sensors without issue. if I was going to program in full-span ailerons (using the flaps) then I would consider an external BEC, but I don't think it's really necessary if you're just using the flaps as on/off or on/half-on/off

-andy