Flycam on the cheap

hi all

as i have spent my modeling buget for the the year ,or if my wife had her way it would for life  ,i fancied a fly cam after seen the vids on utude ,so i used my cclee piper cub and my old sony ericsson k800 ,and kept my fingers crossed ,as the flycam weights 39g and the phone weights 119g . a hand launch a she was away although you could tell she was heavy .and you dont get the same lense adjustment  ,a light phone my work  but dont know of any that would ave the flight mod which switch the aerial off ,you wouldn,t want someone ringing mid flight lol 

the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ERDd-CgfA

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im still using the original Flycam Carl, and haven't suffered any problems at all.  Though I have seen a few vids which show black lines across the screen which turned out to be the props syncing with the cams frame rate.

Yours though sounds like it may be faulty mate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just bought one of these direct from Hong Kong.  There are similar on Fleabay, but I was reluctant to buy one from there, as some of the feedbacks were dodgy.  Less than £15 INCLUDING postage. Delivery by airmail was about 15 days.
How can this be possible.
It records an hour on a 4 gig micro card, and is the size of a large thumb. 
It records AVI format 720 x 480 and the results were almost as good as my £140 Sanyo DV camera. (almost)  Obviously best used in good light though will work indoors, but gets a bit smeary then.  Easily small enough to mount on a model plane and at £15 you won't be worried about breaking it.  Haven't tried it yet as I'm still waiting for a 4 gig card I ordered from elsewhere.  Class 4 card apparently should be best.
I only tested with a one gig card I had and got 15 minutes.

Try a search of Mini DV MD 80 on You Tube there are plenty of sample clips there.
here's one example sample footage starts at about 3 mins in.
The instructions ( a file on the driver disc) are rubbish, but you can work it out. Comes witha load of mounting brackets, USB, driver disc etc. I was astounded!
There are some versions with alloy bodies (which are same but more expensive.) And some models advertised seem to only do  640 X ? whatever res. Mine is definitely 720 x 480 30 fps. There's sound as well of course.
When I do get a chance to mount it on a model I'll post some results.

Edited By Bob Moore on 26/01/2010 14:19:17

Edited By Bob Moore on 26/01/2010 14:22:58

Nice info Bob Cheers .  Ive seen that mini DV being touted for $80-00, same for they key fob type.  You've got to shop around proper & and no mistake mister or, Fagan will ave ya !! lol

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 26/01/2010 14:36:56

Here's the one I bought from the Ebay link provided,next to the FC1 the size is much smaller,and quality significantly better.

It arrived in 8 days, in perfect working order,and cost around 8 squids delivered!

I'm hoping to fit it to my electric glider soon, on the tailplane, and see what happens.
During ground tests, the image quality is just outstanding.

Thanks for your info Matt. And in particular the link to Chuck's web site.  What a brilliant resource.  Great web site
As said I've already got the other type of mini DV, but was that impressed with these I bought two more.  One hopefully (according to Chuck's site) should have a slightly wider lense than the other.  They will also be easier to mount on a wing than my other version, which I intend to use more for paragliding and motorbiking.
I bought and a £8 one and a £12 one from suppliers linked on his site.  Interesting to read about fake SD cards etc.  I had no idea.

Check out this You Tube video guys and gals which was taken by one mounted on a Art Tech F18. Pretty amazing!

cheers
Bob

Edited By Bob Moore on 26/01/2010 20:23:11

Edited By Bob Moore on 26/01/2010 20:24:27