PSS A-10 Thunderbolt II - another one

Andy Meade

Cheers Phil, good point too. I will incorporate a proper catch system at the rear.

Oh dear I'm being talked about by the upper echelons! That's worrying!

Bolted fus fore and aft together last night for the first time in ages - she seems a different aircraft now - so bulky and longer with the nose and tail cone on too. More glassing to continue later on, fitting g a solar panel atop my brother's camper first though.

Hopefully some assembled shots later!

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report as yet - most of the tail feather have now been glassed and rubbed down ready for a guide coat, and I'm just treading water waiting for paint and primer to arrive.

I really must glass the nose section, as whenever I fiddle with it I end up with dings and dents everywhere. So here are are a few pics of some cockpit detail that I've been working on. My 3D printer turns up tomorrow, so I hope to add even more in the near future!

20150326_213104.jpg

Pilot in - he is sitting low but then I know I haven't made the cushion parts of the ejector seat :

20150326_213150.jpg

And with cockpit on :

20150326_213224.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I slipped - designed and printed some detail parts for the A10 (and B24 in this picture) :

2015-04-06 15.40.13.jpg

top left and right - HUD mounting frames

top left - B24 DF loop fairing

next down - instrument panel with both MFD's cut out

below that - FM blade antenna

then below that two large vents that go below the cockpit on the port side

bottom row - APU plate (left) and GPS antenna (right)

column of vents on right - outlets for port side and top of fuselage.

It's great! I can design stuff in the evening before bed, set off the printing before work the next day, get back from work and I've made more progress on a plane AND been paid for it yes

In that lovely weather at the weekend I was glassing and sanding pretty much every day. Still on target for June? Yes, I think so smiley

Yeah it is - it feels like cheating, but then I did do the work to design the parts in the first place, so then I don't feel so bad!

So if anyone else building a 1/6th scale A10 (or any scale for that matter - I can shrink or enlarge these), drop me a p.m. and I'll get on it cool

yes no worries chap, just let me know when you need them - obviously before June I take it, so we can fly in formation...

laugh

I have a few more to come off the printer tonight - lower centre dash, left and right hand dash (including throttle lever on l.h.), "wing" antenna thingy (no idea what this one is, directly behind cockpit).

Still to design and print - parts of the avenger; little humps front and rear (IR detectors?); square exhaust for stbd side; maybe the Pave-Penny lump - though I have no idea how this will cope in a landing.

Just sorted through some A10 pics, and it looks like the later versions did away with the monster vent and his little brother just in front of the ladder door. Oh well, it's getting fitted on mine!

I've just ordered a load of peel ply to do the wing's glassing in the method of Lord Fenton - I've not used it on the fuselage or tail parts as they change shape so much down their length, I didn't think it would work.

We didn't need that in the end Pete yes

I've now glassed everything but the wings, which should happen this week. Primer will be sprayed this weekend, but as I wait for epoxy to dry, I've been playing around with my dashboard. I now have MFD's made from keychain LCD's, that cycle through various images that I found on t'internet. The instrument panel has been painted up a bit, not sure I'm happy with it but it's easy to re-do if need be.

2015-04-15 08.03.28.jpg

2015-04-15 08.03.32.jpg

2015-04-15 08.03.43.jpg

2015-04-15 08.03.51.jpg