Peyret Mauboussin Type 11.

In about 2002 I saw a picture of an aircraft in Aeroplane Monthly. I took one look and thought, "That was designed by Col. Bowden." Aeroplane Monthly very kindly provided a 3 vview from an AEROPLANE of the era, about 1932.

The aircraft was a side by side two seater cabin aircraft called the Peyret Mauboussin Type 11. A French pilot called Rene Leferve flew it from France to Madagascar and back, no mean feat. He then flew it from France to Saigon in 10 days flying 12 hours a day. He then flew it back rather more slowly.

THis little aircraft was powered by a nine cylinder Salmson AD9 providing a mere 45 horse power.

The wings had no struts and featured full span ailerons which could dbe drooped as flaperons.

I designed and built a 57" span model powered by a geared Speed 400 motor.

I am now starting building a 1/6" scale version for an SC 30FS. 76" span a bit over 600 sq inches of area. It will be like a powered glider in effect.

I am sure that many people will be delighted to know that it will be ideal for electric power.

Here are pictures of the original plan that was published by Sailplane and Electric in the USA and photos of my model.

peyret mauboussin pic 1.jpg

peyret mauboussin pic 2.jpg

peyret mauboussin pic 3.jpg

peyret mauboussin.jpg

Advert

Well it has been a bit of a hectic spell but managed to start building the Peyret M.

peyret mauboussin const 001.jpg

Fuselage sides with doublers added and the rest of the fuselage parts. This shows the sides already bent and ready for final assmebly

peyret mauboussin const 002.jpg

Because the fuselage sides are bowed considerably I glued on the doublers and quickly assembled the fuselage and clamped it in shape pulling the front in. The longeron under the left side windows was a bit too stiff and snapped but the main loads are taken by the doubler.

peyret mauboussin const 004.jpg

Once the dobler had dried I took it all apart and assembled the sides to the big formers F-3 and F-4 and left it to dry. Then added all the other formers and cross bracing. Just make sure that the fuselage stays straight over the plan view. Side window frames also added.

peyret mauboussin const 005.jpg

This is the front of the fuselage where the engine mount will go.

peyret mauboussin const 007.jpg

This picture shows how the snake outer tubes are supported.

peyret mauboussin const 009.jpg

View showing the slot for the tailplane and the fin. The latter goes right down and is glued to the tailplane.

peyret mauboussin const 010.jpg

The sheeted under side. The undercarriage mounts are made with a lamination of 1/8" Ply and two strips of 1/8 Liteply. The U/C will be held on with flat saddles.

If you can build a vintage model you can build this.

Edited By Peter Miller on 03/02/2015 19:10:10

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for my ribs to arrive I built the dummy engine. THis a loose impressionist item, not an accuaret scale engine. This is because the first time the modelo noses over it will get damaged.

dummy engine 017.jpg

The cylinders are made from balsa dowel. The string is wrapped round doubled up and then one layer is removed to give even spacing.

dummy engine 018.jpg

The crankcase is two formers with 1/8" balsa warpped round and then a layer of 1/64 ply on top of that.

dummy engine 019.jpg

The rockers are just little scraps of 3/32" X 1/4" spruce roughly shaped.

dummy engine 020.jpg

This is a dry fit of one cylinder with wire pushrods fitted..

dummy engine 021.jpg

The engine complete. The exhausts and inlet tubes (Not visible in this view) are just made from snake inners heated and bent at right angles.

The cylinders should be tapered fro the top. A picture of th e actual engine can be found if you search for Salmson AD9 in Wikipedia.

• 4 weeks later...

Well what with several interruptions and a lot of other hassle at least I can add some more to the build of this model after a month.

018.jpg

The right wing and centre section on the board. Nice ans simple.

019.jpg

THis is the centre section, the wings are joined to it with a SLEC alumnium tube and paper tube in the wing.

020.jpg

This shows the root of the wing and the full length aileron.

026.jpg

The wing is almost complete, just needs the sheet at the root and the capstrips adding.

027.jpg

THis is the wing tip, again pretty simple.

030.jpg

The sheeted centre section

031.jpg

The underside with the holes to pass the servo leads through.

032.jpg

The centte section being tried for fit. Note that after covering the centre section is glued permanently to the fuselage. The hatch in the bottom is big enough to get ones hand in to do any work needed and thred the leads through.

023.jpg

The tail unit is very simple indeed. Don't be tempted to make them out of sheet, you need to keep the tail end light.

021.jpg

This is the basic undercarriage. The lugs by the wheels are for the dummy shock struts.

The model is now ready for testing.

• 1 month later...

peyret+flt+test+002.jpg

After waiting for weeks for blue skies AND caalm weather I flew her yesterday in spite of the clouds.

76" 4 1/2lbs, SC 30 FS and she took off up hill and flew like a dream.

peyret+flt+test+006.jpg

Some poeple have said that she would be twitchy. Not a bit of it. Rock stable. THrottle back and pull in up elevator and eventually one wing will start to sink slowly.

peyret+flt+test+011.jpg

On the second flight she was put through loops, very slow and stately, even consecutive loops. Rolls are slow and stately too. Inverted is not possible. Various other highly non scale manoeuvres were flown and she never tried to bite once.

peyret+flt+test+022.jpg

My friend who flies my models for the camera has already asked if he can buy her when I have finished with her.!!

peyret+flt+test+026.jpg

If you want relaxing flying on a Summer evening you can't beat this one.

Oh yes. IT is perfect for electric conversion. It won't sound right which it does with the little four stroke burbling away but it would be so easy to convert.

Don't ask me what you need for the conversion. I don't know.

Edited By Peter Miller on 20/04/2015 09:17:44

• 1 month later...