A faceplate for a wee lathe

Hi Guys, I've just bought a faceplate for my ancient Clarke metal minilathe. See the pic below.

I've removed the chuck easily enough,, but I've got a problem fixing the faceplate which is threaded 6mm. There is not enough room to get a bolt in from the back (the yellow side) I've had a look on the web, and it seems that you should use studs that are screwed in from the face plate side (easy enough)

but how do I hold the studs steady when I try to tighten the nut to secure them?

Wow that sounds a bit of a muddle, but I'm sure someone will understand what I'm about.

Advert

If the threads aren't already right through the plate, the studs will bottom out and lock.

Is it practicable for you to retrospectively drill through the bolt holes to the work face of the plate with a 5mm drill and then counterbore to take a socket head bolt, even if it's cut down a bit at the socket? Or, your face plate could have shallow countersinks or counterbores on the side that goes against the spindle and the studs could have a short blank section which can be locked out against the plate. Plus locktite as well.

If you're going to fabricate studs from a stock piece of bar, they would be best at around 5.9mm dia for easy hand threading.

Edited By Chuck Plains on 27/01/2015 16:48:59