This is what a rudder's for....!

Pete B

Advert

Just a bit of a question ... I've watched the clip many times, the camera angle isn't great for viewing the the tail and rudder.

There is a massive yaw the instant the wheels lift from the runway but its difficult to see a huge rudder input and I'm not sure why such an input would be required.

Once the aircraft is airborne what matters is its orientation with regard to the air it is flying in; if it 'weather-cocks' into wind once the wheels are off the ground there is no immediate need to correct as this only relates to track over the ground.

Coming into to land in a crosswind there can be a need for a boot-full of rudder at the point of touch down when transitioning from flight in a block of air to movement on the ground. But on take-off the need to correct yaw is not there.

I'm not for one minute doubting the skill of the pilot since controlling the roll effect of the crosswind no doubt required immense skill.

If you look at the vid the pilot clearly applies some rudder input which you can see at 40 seconds then again magnified at 1 minute.

Whilst it is true that the aircraft would weathercock the take off speed is not enough to do that so inputs are required.

We used to sit on the airfield at Wyton on standby in the Ambulance for the rookie students' first solo flights in Grob tutors and then many take offs for Air Days and practice displays for Tornados and Hawks. I even got to see the take off and mini impromptu display from a SU-27 as it left to go home after the air day which was fantastic.

Some days most flights, on windy days, were quite skewed take offs and landings and needed rudder which could be clearly seen on some aircraft.

Edited By John F on 01/02/2015 08:04:01