Fruitless flipping...almost

Tony Patman

O.K.heres me tuppence worth.Tony I would do as Timbo suggested and do a leak test on the tank by placing it under water,blocking one tube,and blowing down the other,just to be sure the plumbing is sound.Also,try removing the high end needle and placing a thin piece of tubing on it.Get the high end happening before touching the low end.When you got it running, did you open it up,or did you leave it running on quarter throttle?

Wow (Hi all!) What a load of hassel from a little four stroke ! My two penny worth is this. If it is new don't go fiddling with rocker covers etc, this motor sounds just lile my OS 48, ok ish to start when cold but a bit naughty when warm.

To start it; If you have not touched the slow needle , don't. If you have, try to get it to the factory setting. If you don't know this do not worry we can deal withit later.

The cold motor needs to be choked. Close the MAIN needle all the way , then open I.5 turns. Put finger over carb hole or exhaust end. Throttle full. Flick smartly over 4 or 5 times. Close throttle. Apply glow hold prop firmly and turn over slowly.
The prop should "kick" or "bump" in your hand as you turn it over. If you don't get this bump keep trying the priming routine 'till you do. DON'T use a starter here because in the end if you over do it the motor will lock, this is ok by hand and tells you that you have over primed, let it dry out and TOMORROW prime a lot less the first time. This bump thing is CRITICAL to master 'coz once you have it means easy hand starts all the time. IF THERE IS NO BUMP IT IS UNLIKLY TO START!.IF you feel a bump great flick the motor at low throt and it should start and run for a bit. If it runs and speeds up and stopps open MAIN needle 1 quarter turn, and try again. If the motor will NOT run evenly at LOW throttle then we need to sort the low end mix. You could try to set up the top end first , but this means starting at full bore and adjusting the MAIN needle for a smooth fast run. If it is new keep things a little rich for the first half hour of running .I WOULD advise buying a starter, my OS NEEDS it to start when hot. Some small engines are right little ******s to start by hand, my TT 46 WON'T my TT60 Will. Let me know how you get on, but I'll be away for a few days. Good luck but don'nt take it to bits yet!

Danny Fenton Re SC30FS A review of this engine was published in RCM&E Jan 2007 P.74. You may have seen the article already but the reviewer describes the engine's starting difficulties which he overcome by fitting a larger 10 1/2 X 5 Bolly glass nylon prop. There also seemed to be an assembly problem with the review engine

Aha, now then, Flanker. The "bump" is interesting. Yes, I'm sure I've experienced that, but only once or twice. Maybe I'm not priming it enough.

Raymond, yes, reading that review was indeed what made me buy the thing in the first place (magazine owners, take note, I'm sure you will). I don't dare start disassembling the engine, and I can't use a "harder" prop because of the design of the plane. I'm already on three blades because I can't increase the diameter any more.

Sorry I've only come in on this thread at the end but have you tried a starter motor as I have found that SC/Magnums and ASP's (all the same engines) don't have alot of compression when cold and really need a starter motor to draw the fuel imto the cylinder, I have had SC's and have many ASP four-strokes and the best method to start them I found was to turn the engine over (using a starter motor) without the glow start attached and with the carb closed, then open the carb a little apply the glow start and they fire first time.

Yeah it's true about electric starters, my OS 46 surpass will not start without a starter if it is hot, and it's pretty horrid to start by hand when cold. Tony BUY A STARTER but note the dangers of htdro lock- if it turns by hand it is ok to use the starter. But I repeat if you don't have feeler guges and the skill to use them don't take your motor apart!

I have seen four stroke engines run....badly of course.....with a broken valve spring.luckily he took the rocker cover off to have a look, just in case, and noticed it.Mouse droppings a plenty too....could 'ave been a Shrew though...
Anyway...make sure you check for them droppings as Flanker suggested...Tony,do as timbo says and remove the cover.At least you get to see whats under there.Mmmmmm ..under there.

Ok Aslan but Tony's motor is new ? If one of his valves was being closed by piston strikes he would have heard a terrible noise and I don't think there would be any life in it by now ! There is also the warranty issue with a new motor. As this thread is aimed at newbies I do not think we should be encouraging them to delve into the insides of their motors. We should be offering good starting advice and it seems that in this case all Tony needs is an electric starter and some practice ! As I said a while back, no bump no start, you have to get many four strokes sopping wet before they will start, and gugeing this priming phase is what takes experiance. Tony if you must take your motor to bits get a proper service firm to do it for you or better still a highly experianced fellow club mate to show you how to do it. however i reckon that all you need is a starter and a good glow supply and perhaps some spare FS plugs. As I said before I can only hand start my OS when it is stone cold, otherwise it is a starter job.

Well,Here are my final thoughts.I don't think Tony has been asked to delve into the inside of his motor,I'm well aware he is a newbie,he has been offered sound advice by all,he could do more damage messin' with the high end needle than by removing the rocker cover,priming any engine to the point of the bump is not good for a newbie to be doing,is Tony using a chicken stick?Did you ask?if Tony feels the bump,puts the glow on and it kicks back....what then.... Tony is a newbie.Finaly,as I and others have suggested...Invest in a starter....and a copy of Harry Higleys "All about Engines".I think 5% is a bit low on the nitro.Any thoughts?
Well that's me out of the hugging circle again Timbo...eh