MK 1 Hurricane RAL colour codes?

FWAL

Hi All

I'm currently nearing completion of a Pegasus MK1 Hurricane kit and my thoughts are now on reproducing a proper colour match, or at least as near as possible. Having looked around at other models of the 1939-41 Dark Green - Dark Earth era of RAF camouflage I have witnessed both good and bad examples!

Can anyone suggest a good RAL colour code to the above requirements. Currently I'm edging towards RAL 6031 Bronze Green. A thread on the Brit modeller site suggests RAL 7006 Beige Grey but surely that would be post 1941 When the RAF changed to Dark Grey. So is RAL 8028 a better representation of Dark Earth.

My local paint store can mix 250cl tester pots which was a pleasant surprise. I'm guessing they could also mix BS numbers if someone has had experience of a good match using that scheme.

Thanks Mk

Advert

Hi,

You want RAL 6003 and RAL 7008, see the paint chart here

http://www.modelmarkings.com/images/mm_images/raf%20colour%20chart%20ncs%20codes.pdf

Note that the NCS paint codes can only be used in Dulux mixing machines the B&Q now they changed to Valspar will only take the RAL codes

Peter and Polly Vacher's MkI Hurricane R4118 is all in Sky on the underside FS34424, the single black (night FS37030) wing panel came in around Oct 1940, however there were still all sky undersides in November. The upper surfaces are dark earth FS30118 and the dark green FS34079.

I think you have to specify which airframe you are doing and exactly what time period. R4118 for example was Gloster built and they were advised to use Sky on the underside in June 1940 however they didn't have a supply until August, so you need to be careful if you want to be absolutely accurate.

Peter Vacher's book Hurricane R4118 is a good source for that particular mkI, Peter is very fastidious about R4118 being correct.

Paint chart

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 09/02/2015 13:08:42

Danny,

The paint Chart link is most useful, I had lost the bookmark for it ages ago. I find the eyedropper function most useful as you can convert to an RGB value as well as list out matches for known model paints.

I also i have a method of converting the RGB value to RAL or NCS (and FS and BS codes) paint codes which is most useful if your getting paints mixed to a recipe