Is it just me?

Mart49

I've been flying planes and gliders for a few years, and now would judge myself as an "intermediate" flyer. I don't crash too often - except when showing off (inverted through the goal post comes to mind!)

I got a quad a year ago (small thing) with which i learnt to fly around the garden, then built a 450 size with a KK2 board. Being roundish, I kept loosing orientation, so a few weeks ago I built a HobbyKing H4 (470 size). Well it flies well in the garden so took it over the field yesterday. I have come to the conclusion that my brain has a blockage when an aircraft travels unnaturally sideways and towards me! I cant work out what sticks to push to correct it. I've tried and tried... Just can't do it...

I think I'm sticking to wings - much easier!

At least on the bright side I've 4x motors and esc's to find planes to put them into!!

Advert

OK, here is the trick. If its coming towards you and goes sideways, and you want to correct, just "follow the quad with the right hand stick" in other words if its going left - push left! This is the mult-rotor equivalent of what you were probably taught on fixed wing, to "prop up the low wing with the stick" - same idea.

I've instructed 3 or 4 people now on multi-rotors and this does seem to work for them. Other things that can help:

1. Spend some time with MR hovering right in front of you, nose-in, and simply practice moving left and right.

2. Simulators are good at assisting with this sort of problem.

Stay with it - you will crack it and eventually it becomes second nature - you don't even think about it. But the key really is practice - the more you fly the quicker you'll feel comfortable.

BEB

• 3 months later...

Dear Mart49,

I totally agree. Brain is mystery. I'm in the exact same situation : I do not have to think to control direction anymore when plane or glider is coming toward me and therefore thought mastering my recently Husban X4 school quad would be a matter of days....

It's been three month now of exercises and crashes - and I just get some comfort with side runs but still is hesitant with front flights.

I practice a lot some exercises seen on "flite test" video show... worked on me.

henri.

For what its worth this is how I have successfully trained more than 200 11-15 year olds to fly Helis and Quads. Including a fair number of special needs children . Also used this with adults at an indoor heli club I co-run.

In order, no moving on until the level at is deemed by me OK.

All start on ground tail/rear in towards pilot unless otherwise stated, into listed move and return to tail in before landing

Hover Tail/Rear in, keeping in line and over marked spot.

Turn to and Hover 45 degrees away left

Turn to and Hover 45 degrees away right

Turn to and Hover 90 degrees left

Turn to and Hover 90 degrees right

Turn to and Hover 45 degrees towards left

Turn to and Hover 45 degrees towards right

Turn fuly nose in and Hover (from both directions)

Turn 90 degrees fly three metres straight, turn 180 return, turn 90 back to tail in (Done both ways)

Lift off, turn into nose in, hover, turn 90 degrees fly three metres straight to lines marked on floor, turn 180 return, turn 90 back to nose in (Done both ways)

Circuits both ways.

Eights

Free Flight......................

This is designed to eliminate "handing", where a pilot only ever feels safe and so turns one way, seen far too much at Heli clubs!!

Circuit and eights training has a second stage that involves banked flight, not just hanging on the rotor(s) and yawing round.

As said, large number trained, using Twister Sport and Hubsan X4's indoors initially, but then up to 250's/180 quads. Have four TS, four X4s, several years old now, used every week term time. TS's have not had any more than displaced tail fins, X4's have not had more than a few blade tips bent and one motor end cap knocked off.

Time through the above varies, but usually around six sessions of maybe three batteries each member sees them safe for solo improvement.