Taranis 5db antenna mod

Barry Spiers

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 11/02/2015 21:24:44:

I'd suggest that a change of antenna is a bad idea, for all the reasons mentioned above, and the fact that you'd have to solder a very tiny coax connection.

If you need more range, FrSky have a Long range Rx - the L9R - advertised as having approx twice the range of a standard receiver.

If it's diversity you want, Rx diversity can simply be added by binding a second receiver.

Full RF diversity can be arranged by fitting a Tx module into the back of the Taranis.

There are a number of ways to deal with the output of two receivers.

Thanks Chris, good info, I think I know what I'm going to do now, thanks.

Barry

Advert

Found this that may be of some interest stating that flying Fpv is restricted to 1000ft not 400ft, I am assuming it is in date information.

BMFA Fpv.

http://bmfa.org/Info/Model-Flying-Types/First-Person-View-FPV

CAA SUA FPV dated 23 Apr 14

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4%20No.%201011%20Small%20Unmanned%20Aircraft.pdf

All assuming the observer maintains visual contact.

Barry

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/02/2015 10:58:23:

Ooo, does that mean you have a model worthy of a diverse radio system, Bob? Tell us more

(Hmm, that sounds like I'm casting aspersions on all your models, it's not meant like that at all).

Do let us know how you get on with it. How was it getting hold of one from the US?

really this is the wrong thread for this but seeing as you asked - sorry FPV gents - I'm primarily interested in using it as an S-bus decoder for the 4 servo + retracts wing on the Sea Fury rather than using 2 s-bus decoders, and I may put the second board in my big Macchi 200 making use of the dual receiver bit.

As for getting the board, it arrived from US within a week and escaped HMRC interest!

Dave H - To quote CAA:

"Operating within Visual Line of Sight means that the Remote Pilot is able to maintain
direct, unaided (other than corrective lenses) visual contact with the UA which is
sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vessels,
vehicles and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions. Within the UK, VLOS
operations are normally accepted out to a maximum distance of 500 m horizontally
and 400 ft vertically from the Remote Pilot. Operations at a greater distance from the
Remote Pilot may be permitted if an acceptable safety case is submitted. For
example, if the aircraft is large it may be justifiable that its flight path can be monitored
visually at a greater distance than 500 m. Conversely, for some small aircraft,
operations out to a distance of 500 m may be impractical."

So, as I said earlier the range maybe "argued up" for very large UA's but as the FPV exemption granted by the CAA is limited aircraft to below 3.5Kg this is - again as I said above - very unlikely to apply.

The 1000 foot altitude limit only applies outside of class A,C,D or E airspace. An awful lot of UK airspace (and the vast majority of airspace over England) does not fall into this category (ie it is within class A,C,D or E airspace) as a glance at this map will show. You may have far to travel to meet the conditions of the exemption in this respect!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/02/2015 11:45:33

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 12/02/2015 11:19:56:

really this is the wrong thread for this but seeing as you asked - sorry FPV gents - I'm primarily interested in using it as an S-bus decoder for the 4 servo + retracts wing on the Sea Fury rather than using 2 s-bus decoders, and I may put the second board in my big Macchi 200 making use of the dual receiver bit.

As for getting the board, it arrived from US within a week and escaped HMRC interest!

Thanks Bob, I think it's fine in this thread, as far as we've gone. The OP has asked about diversity options.