Hobbyking have a sense of humour

Dave Hopkin

All joking aside ALL clubs and flyers should have a first aid kit available. There have been some horrific accidents over the years and the new generation of flyers aren't immune ! The modern electric powered models seem to be treated as harmless by many probably due to their quiet running but even a small electric motor can do serious damage . I have in the past taken fellow modellers to hospital with lacerations to hands and our first aid kits helped enormously, especially keeping blood off my car seats cheeky. The Hobby king kit is apparently available from the UK Wharehouse according to thier site so customs shouldn't be a problem. If ordering from the global wharehouse beware as the postage IS added to the total for vat purposes.

Our club keeps a first aid kit available at all times. Its basic but that's all that's generally needed. The advice given about torniquete is worth listening to . Clubs can also get first aid lectures from the local St Johns or Red Cross .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 13/03/2015 09:12:12

Advert

Personally I would go for thre Hobbyking one

I would opt for something like this - its like the one i carry

**LINK**

The self cooling ice packs would be very usefull for dealing with non lacerating injuries to minimise brusing and pain relief

But please what ever kit you carry make sure you suplement it with an unopened 500ml bottle of still water for flushing/irrigation etc

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/03/2015 08:41:18:

However if a torniquet is te only option to stop the bleed whilst waiting fhe casualty to recieve medical help then it can be used, but it should be applied for 10 to 15 mins then released for a few seconds before being retightened - the time of the iniial application of the tourniquet should be written on the casualties forehead (dont worry about finding apen - in those circumstances you have a finger and there will be plenty of red "ink" around!)

But the critical thing is to get proper medical assistance ASAP - in severe trauma injuries there is a "golden hour" (and a platinum 10 minutes) where proper treatment can make a world of difference

But I totally disagree about not needing a first aid kit - in my opinion there should be one available at every flying field whenever people are flying - as we cant always reply on "Johny the first aid kit bloke" being at the field the more people that carry them the better!

Dave, I agree with you on all points, the dangers of tourniquets and the precaution of having a first aid box at a club.

I was thinking not needing a first aid kit when taking my ep sailplane out for a few flights- I try always to think safety and always have consideration of the prop when a plane has a battery connected.

Edited By ted hughes on 13/03/2015 23:44:26