Hi you guys

My name is Terry, new to forum, but not new to modelling. I started modelling of sorts in the latter years of  WW 2 , that was my first introduction to Balsa Wood.

My next door neighbour worked at D H Leavesden on the production of Mosquitos, he brought me home some offcuts of Balsa, that was my introduction into real modelling, albeit sollid models.

In completetion of National Service in 1952  I started modelling in earnest , gliders, rubber powered free flight, then powered free flight.  My first powered free flight was the Cherub with a wonderful litte Mills .75 which I must add I still own today, and runs as beautiful as ever. I know free flight is frowned upon by most RC flyers today, but it taught you the art of trimming which is lacking by the many of model flyers today, I must add not their fault as they started at the top of the ladder with the introduction of ARTF.

Towards the end of 1956 was my first tast of RC flying, which to be honset was RC interrupted free flight. I say that because RC models of that period had to be test glided and trimmed as any free flight , essential as your only control was rudder.                                                                                                                 All the radio and hardware was home made  27meg . There was commercial gear appearing, but one was talking mega bucks, a years wages. My first RC model was the Electra at 56", span it was a giant, laughable by todays standard. The receiver, a sigle valve job, was suspended by elastic bands, three batteries were required, a 22.5v, and1.5v  were for the receiver, and a 4.5v  for the escapement  for rudder control, I only wished I had kept that gear.

After a lifetime of  I/C RC flying, I was getting rather jaded with the whole scene, I had tried electric  when nicad flight packs appeared, but I wasn't taken by it, a flash in the pan I thought, it will never take on, how wrong I was. Today all but two of my I/C models have been sold off, and have gone electric.

Being a designer/builder of sorts, EDF was a new challenge. Today I have three EDF models, designed from 72 scale three view line drawings obtained off the net. The DH Vampire, North American Fury, and the ME262, all based on the same power plant, the Air Power 700 with Mega EDF motors. The Vampire,and Fury are both 39" span,  2lb 3oz and fly from a good hand launch, the ME 262 is 60" span as yet unflown AUW ready for flight 4.5lb with static thrust of 4lb, but will be ramp bungee launched.

Well I hope I haven't bored you all to death.

Advert

Excellent stuff Terry and a big hi and welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you pick the best bits of what you have said and put them into your profile page, as this thread will soon die through natural causes whereas your profile lives on

Also, consider activating "message me" so that people can contact you off forum - but that way your email address remains private. Generally speaking it is always wise to keep ANY private details such as phone numbers, addresses etc OFF public forums.

Glad to see you have joined the leccy gang

Terry   Not the least bit boring .In fact I thought that I fitted that bill .Nice to know there are still proper modellers around who've done the trimming freeflight bit .Funny cos I've just started EDF as well but still really love the oily things.Just another challenge isn't it? (but is getting a bit pricey)

Grumpy Myron