Is this a recognised Tx Mode?

Advert

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 15/03/2015 22:06:00:

On the forward for up controversy, soft wing micro-lights and hang gliders work that way, too.

all weight-shift hanggliders & microlights work this way, including the rigid-wing ones. roll control is a bit different on rigids as they generally use spoilerons or similar, but pitch control is the same as flex-wings

back in the late 80's there was a chap in my club who packed in model flying when he started flying microlights, on the basis that he didn't want to pull-for-up or vice versa on his microlight at a critical moment. I did wonder at the time why he didn't just reverse his elevator servos

Posted by Cuban8 on 16/03/2015 10:57:18:

Not just aircraft, AFAIA the convention for all electrical switches in the 'States is to have 'down for off'. The reasoning being that in an emergency it's more natural to make a rapid down stroke with the hand. Over here circuit breakers (home and industry) work the same way.

That's weird. The US and the UK have reversed rules for domestic switches off and on. In the UK up is off and down is on; in the US up is on and down is off.

In the UK, our CU breakers shoot down to switch off current and need to be switched up to restore power.

Posted by David Hardaker on 15/03/2015 19:49:37:

If Mode 1 was good enough for the Wright brothers, it's good enough for me !

I learnt to fly Mode 1 - because like many people we started on 2 channel radios on Gliders.

When I came back to flying a few years ago, I 're-learnt' to fly using Mode 2 - and in hindsight, I think it was a mistake. I still have problems with Rudder control (I think) due to mentally force freezing my left hand while I was in the relearn mode.

Martyn

Posted by Martyn K on 17/03/2015 09:49:50:
Posted by David Hardaker on 15/03/2015 19:49:37:

If Mode 1 was good enough for the Wright brothers, it's good enough for me !

I learnt to fly Mode 1 - because like many people we started on 2 channel radios on Gliders.

When I came back to flying a few years ago, I 're-learnt' to fly using Mode 2 - and in hindsight, I think it was a mistake. I still have problems with Rudder control (I think) due to mentally force freezing my left hand while I was in the relearn mode.

Martyn

Just curious, but what was the reason behind relearning on Mode 2? Like you I started with a two channel twin stick outfit (Futaba Medallion) in the 1970s hence remaining on mode 1 ever since.

Edited By Cuban8 on 17/03/2015 11:23:20

Same for me, My early radios were 2 channel and even a McGregor 1+1, I also seem to remember (I think) everyone at my original club the Grimsby & District Model Aero Club being mode 1.

My flying hero Hanno Prettner was I think also a mode 1 pilot. I can remember handling but never using a Kraft Radio that had a rotary knob on the end of the stick that then combined rudder, elevator and aileron all on one gimbal.

I used to sail model boats with 'down for fast' throttle set.

The reason was that the Acoms 2 channel 27 MHz set I used had a sprung throttle, not a ratchet, but it had a latching lever to offset the centre of the spring towards the down position. I assume this was to give more travel in the forward direction compared to reverse (a boat of course, has a reverse throttle, whereas an aircraft - usually - does not).

I found it convenient to use it in the opposite sense, by using it as a 'cruise control' lever, allowing my hand to come off the throttle stick...