Model makes whooshing sound on fly bys

Mark Kettle 1

Advert

Full-size gliders make the same sort of noise from what I remember from when I flew at Camphill in Derbyshire and model gliders are no different in a fast fly by. Isn't just the air being deflected by the speed just as wind whistles round the house side in breezy conditions?

Lovely Vulcan, though, and flown well in a stunning location. My wind power experiences near the Orme are limited to a couple of dinghy national championships sailed in winds from nothing to terrifying in the 1980s.

Geoff

Gents - don't get us wrong - we are perennial slope fliers used to the sound of high (and not so high) performance gliders. From screeches of wiperless ailerons to the general hiss of a quarter scalie going overhead, I've heard it all I think. Then Mark's Vulcan comes overhead and everyone does a double-take! Definitely different to every other sloper I've heard, it really is very close to the Vulcan whooosh in real life. Odd but true!

TWO huge ducts being pushed through the air like a bottle on a string. The effect is the same . Just like blowing across a bottle or stone jug. Think about folk groups and jug bands. I have played the jug myself and it is possible to make quite a row and it various pitches with practice. So apart from the whoosh of disturbed air we have a musical instrument as well. Additionally there are the two exhaust rings to contribute to it even if they don't go all the way through. If they do then there is an even greater chance of a contribution and even more so if the ducts are not clean. i.e. smooth tubing . All of these things can help disturb air. the more you disturb the greater the noise. and you can take that from an opera singer. Ergo no surprise it makes a noise is it really Personally I 'd make as much noise as you can and enjoy. Good whooshing Mark. John

P.S. Just wait till Tony B. Flies his Meteor. I know it's powered but I bet it whooshes plenty when throttled back. Let's wait and see and hope Tony tells us if it does. j.