New Scrapit15 micro DLG

mightypeesh

_mg_9698.jpg

I saw the new Whipet from E-flight and thought Wow, that looks cute - then saw the price - £65 odd quid - and suddenly it was not quite so Attractive - got me thinking though. For that money you get a two channel brick, a couple of bits of carbon stick and a bit of foam. How hard can it be? Lets have a dig around the workshop.......an old AR6400 brick from an original pz micro mustang that had long since demised ....off-cuts of carbon....bit of 3mm depron left from a parkjet...bits and pieces of balsa a bit of fine piano wire from 'stock' and a scrap of foam....all ready to go. I based it around the 'Elf' DLG for want of a starting point and pretty much made it up as I went along. It is stuck together with uhu por and clear parcel tape. The control rods are run down the carbon tube boom, and the wings are sanded to give them a profile. thats it really. Total outlay - exactly nought pounds shillings and pence! Does it fly? To my suprise yes! After a bit of trimming she shoots up like a rocket and glides round like a good'n. From the videos of the Whipet i have seen I reckon it does pretty much the same thing - goes up grabs what it can - do a loop and then try to catch it - lob again......smiley

_mg_9665.jpg

_mg_9699.jpg

_mg_9700.jpg

_mg_9701.jpg

AUW is 49gms and the 1s lipo lasts forever.

Cheers folks, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 17/04/2015 11:20:08

This would be a brilliant project for the magazine - free plan, building & flying notes... comparison with commercial micro DLGs... there must be loads of unloved AR6400s around... its bound to be a winner!

Now, wheres that nice Mr Ashby?

Edited By Phil Green on 17/04/2015 12:42:28

Its a discus launch glider. It only weighs in at 49gms, so just lightly grip the wing tip with two fingers and spin. I did consider a small stick of carbon as a grip, but having flown it there is little point. The wing sheet has a carbon spar and is covered top and bottom with clear parcel tape so when it is under tension - being launched - it is really strong and goes straight heavenwards.

Cheers, Simon

• 3 years later...