Orange FASST rx and Futuaba ff9 (with Futaba 2.4 module)

frank staples 2

I wonder if anyone can come up with a suggestion on what is causing my elevator servos to continually burn out?

I have been using Orange rx's for about two years without any problems at all. Now all of a sudden I have started to burn out the elevator servos of different planes.The elevator operates fine. Take off and at some point - could be three or four flights or just one the elevator starts operating erratically. If I can get it down fast enough, I save the plane, if not, the elevator stops working. When checking, the servo is seized. After much head scratching, it was suggested that my FF9 was faulty. I replaced it with a second hand Futaba 10CG. Every think OK? NO.Glider up, elevator and rudder seized solid. HK Sky Mule. Checking operation in pits. Funny noise, elevator and rudder servos seized, ESC burnt out. TX Fail Safe is turned off and RX is set for non digital servos. Any suggestions (apart from the obvious) would be more than welcome

I think I may have found the cause. I've taken the seized servos out and they are burnt out. Looking through everything else and starting from scratch, I have found that the RX reverts to the setting for digital servos if you re-bind the TX. Two of the affected planes ,when checked were showing a fast flash for digital servos, even though they had originally been set for non digital servos. Still not sure why the elevator was affected on all three planes, the rudder was affected on only one, but I suspect I have stumbled across the problem. Thanks for your interest and fast response

When all else fails read the manual. You don't have one? Then either buy FRSky direct and not Orange licensed and re-cased versions or download the FRSky "manual" sheet which is very clear.

FS and HS modes ALTERNATE by default with a bind press of over 6 seconds, so if it has been bound as HS, the next bind will be FS, which is intended for fast digitals, then back again, but this is a 6 plus second press.

Usually a Rx of this type binds nearly instantaneously so you should not have to hang on the button for six seconds or more.

"PIlot Error"..................... You don't need to buy expensive digitals!!

I have lots of FRSky FASST receivers (more than 30).

Would I use one in a very very expensive (time or money or both) model? No.

They are however perfectly satisfactory for all normal club type models, have been totally reliable in use, and with them priced at a ratio of 4 of them to one Futaba (8 Ch), coupled with them being more adaptable, only IMO those wanting to waste money use Futaba exclusively.

I also have a Taranis and lots of their Rx's (more than 20). All 100% solid.