Old firmware receivers

Bob Cotsford

Just a quick note for anyone wanting X series receivers with rest of world firmware, ie for those who haven't updated their transmitters to the latest EU compliant spec..

I have quite a few receivers installed in various models and I wasn't keen on digging them all out to update the firmware, so when I decided that I needed a couple of new receivers last week I ordered an X6R and an X8R from HobbyKing's International whorehouse. They arrived this morning from China and bound to my Tx straight away. Maybe one day I'll get around to updating all my receivers to the EU firmware but until then this route will do for a total of £47 air mailed for two units.

Advert

See this;

gazunder 5 points - 4/14/2015
EU protocol If you supply me with an FRSKYx8r rx from HK will I have to upgrade it to be compatible with the EU protocol in England?
Dave Drone flier  8 points
I have bought more than one X8r rx for my Taranis from HK. Works fine, no differences at all.
Eric  7 points
Only if you have a Taranis TX with the EU protocol and If you want to use de X8R in D16 mode, you need to upgrade the firmware

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 25/04/2015 20:40:03

Last weekend I did manage to flash a new EU spec RX back to the non EU version. Not being a PC type, it did take a couple of hours of head scratching and a bit of help from the other half who understands PC's, and she works in a more methodical way than I do!!!

Well I bit the bullet and did a full upgrade today. I had to do something as I had 3 "old" receivers, 4 "new" ones and my Tx hadn't been upgraded. After much deliberation I decided that the most hassle free way forward was to upgrade Tx and old Rx's to the latest compliant firmware.

Using Mike's instructions and firmware (Thanks very much Mike!) plus a little support from this video, it was made easier. I knocked up a cable out of a couple of old servo leads and followed the instructions. As with most things, it's easy once you've been through it.

This firmware upgrade method (direct from the Tx) is so convenient that you can then take the Tx plus cable to each model with "old" Rx in and update the firmware in situ. Re-binding and re-setting failsafe (not sure how necessary but wise I think) is so easy on the FrySky system that it's no big deal - none of this messing with bind plugs.

All done and working so whilst it stretches the brain a bit, it is all quite straightforward.

Edited By Masher on 26/04/2015 12:42:27

I have a pre 2015 Taranis tx and some "x" receivers bought in the UK post Jan 2015and I was wondering if I might save myself some "flashing" if I were to buy an xjt module with the EU protocol from the UK agent and plug it into the back of my Taranis and switch from the rf in the tx for pre 2015 "x" receivers to the rf in the module as occasion demands. Would it work?