Douglas XB42 Mixmaster

image.jpgI am making two separate hatches, the forward one for the battery and the rear for access to Rx, ESCs and aileron servos. Both attached with Neodymium magnets. I have cut a large suitably shaped hole in the rear hatch as an exit for cooling air from battery and ESCs and to act as an easy finger access for removal against magnet pressure. There will be an air intake in the lower fuselage up front. Also there will a small intake on either side at the rear to allow air in to cool the front motor, with the exit at the top just in front of the motor plate.image.jpg

Tomorrow I will start sanding this box into something slightly more curvaceous.

Advert

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI was able to put in 1 1/2 hours this evening. I've backed the 6mm Depron hatch covers with 1/32" balsa, it's surprising how stiff they are. These give me full access to the battery and electronic areas and the magnets make them very convenient. The last photo shows it strategically placed on top of the wheelie bin, I hope that's not an omen. I have sanded the fuselage now to give the rounded corners on the box section. image.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 18/06/2015 22:48:53

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI have to be in the office today and London tomorrow before leaving for Canada later this week, so once again time is tight. However, I got in the shed very early this morning and made the centre section. I just hope that I can get some more wing done before we go. Sorry for the photos being out of order!

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 22/06/2015 12:21:58

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 22/06/2015 12:24:32

The model is going to look and sound terrific Colin. I have just Googled 'Eagle' comic -

images and there she is Anastasia half way down the page. Did the illustrator know something that the rest of us didn't? I can remember seeing a B36 overhead once so that would be the same time that it would have been about. In the drawing it even has a pair of small intake similar to the T33 but it had swept wings with end plate rudders cum fins. I loved the Eagle.

Safe trip.

Steve, I cleared the shed out a couple of weeks ago and cleared a load of space, but as soon as Imstart building it disappears, must be something that I do. Basically, I'm just a mess.

Roy, sadly I don't remember seeing a B36 as a kid, although I might have done. I do remember seeing the Brabazon though through the open roof of the sidecar of my dad's Norton Big 4 combination. He took us to Filton to see it fly, must have been 1949/50. Ah, the Eagle! Recently I attended a meeting with Richard Noble to hear all about progress with the Bloodhound 1,000 mph car. He mentioned how we kids were fired up in those days by aviation and the part played by the Eagle comic. The government has woken up to how important this was, that is one of the reasons that they are backing his project. Happy days. I have got a couple of Eagle annuals and they are great to read even now.

Simon, fancy you finding that out! Perhaps I could get Sunbeam to sponsor me, should I drop them a line?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgThe starboard wing panel is going together. I tacked a temporary triangular strip to the trailing edge of the bottom skin to set the wash-out. I will put in a Depron false spar to provide the leading edge and hinge attachment for the ailerons and then I can fit the top skin.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 23/06/2015 23:36:37

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgWe leave for Heathrow later today ready for the flight to Toronto in the morning, so this is it now until 13 July. Rather than cut the ribs at a difficult point to insert a false rear spar, I have simply inserted Depron spacers between the ribs to provide leading edges and hinge points for the ailerons, which I will cut out later. Top skin is on, all pinned and setting. Port wing will have to wait until I get back, but this is a fairly quick build. You can see how I used the EzeKote bottle to curve the top skin.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 24/06/2015 09:46:40