AV Gas

John Lucas 4

I have just bought a Saito FG21 in the instructions is a leaflet regarding Ethanol and ways to protect the engine after use which is basically the same as with glow engines and nitro.

My question is has anyone used AV gas in their engines, the instructions say to use pure gasoline if possible and I believe AV gas is.

Advert

There are many grades of AV gas with different octane ratings.

The most common is 100LL which has a slightly higher octane rating than motor gas.

100LL contains TEL (tetraethyl lead) a toxic pollutant which is no longer used in automobiles.

I doubt it would make much difference using AV gas but you never know.

It is true there used to be many grades of Avgas but these days you'll be hard pressed to find anything other than 100LL ... although you may find UL91 which is the 'upcoming' unleaded version.

In truth you'll find it impossible to 'buy' Avgas because it can only be sold as an aviation fuel to full sized aircraft. You may be able to obtain small quantities which have been drained off through sampling systems, but that would be an 'unofficial' source .... nothing wrong with it ... simply a commercial loss for the supplier.

I've worked in the aviation fuel supply industry for the last 25 years, I think I know about most of the options for supplying fuel ... one way or another ...  

The reason you may be looking at Avgas is to avoid ethanol and unfortunately it is true to say that finding an ethanol free source of 'petrol' these days is all but impossible. There are some geographical areas where it is 'rumoured' that supplies of higher octane unleaded (super unleaded) are still ethanol free, but the information is anecdotal and not reliable.

I run a 'classic' sports car, a Triumph Spitfire, which in an ideal world I would not use an ethanol based fuel in; however in reality it is unavoidable and in truth it has not proved a problem over the past five years. I think there is a need to keep a sense of proportion in these matters.

Edited By avtur on 18/05/2015 22:49:39

+1 for the aspen. If it were not for that fuel I would have gone insane from petrol fumes while developing the Laser 180. It might be a little more expensive, but the advantages are such that I would never dream of running on pump petrol