Classy 91

Vinegar Dave

Advert

In my experience you will struggle to better the OS 91fs surpass(I have 3) but they aren't cheap. The SC, ASP seem popular and are a lot cheaper but nowhere near the same quality.

I recently got my first thunder tiger 4 stroke a 54 size , It was bought very nearly new in a model and required a fair bit of tuning but now its running sweet I must say I'm very pleased with it and I would buy another.

Hi Dave. I spoke with you before about the WWI models. Did you ever get your magnatilla sorted?

Anyway, its a shameless bit of promo again but I will put it out there anyway. Why not try something British? www.laserengines.com

While there is no 91 in the range the 80 is not far off from a performance point of view and the 100 is much more powerful but with the same height as most 91's.

if you have an questions let me know

Hi Jon.

i must admit i have found getting to grips with planes a bit harder than i thought,people who fly hellis always say a plane is a piece of cake but plane pilots can't fly helicopters and i think now what a load of rubbish and rather pathetic by the helli crew ( not all but a good 50% of them)

I started with the parky SE5a but i was finding it really had to be a calm evening i found and the wind has been terrible so far this year and it was foam. I got a ARTF Nieuport 11 the 'Bebe' being oracover and it was a bit more stable but i think i fell for the french flag markings as being that compact was not really the practical WW1 plane to learn on. I kind of stopped there and thought you are running before you can walk matey so i am building up to them but its coming along. I just love biplanes and the WW1 planes with a IC 4 stroke in is the nuts. I saw a SE5A up the club but it was electric and a WW1 aircraft has to be the worst plane to put an electric in.

So i will be looking for dates with them in.....

Hi Dave

As a mainly plank (as fixed wing are 'affectionately' known by heli pilots) pilot I can say that I found it fairly easy to transition from planes to helis. Once I could hover and do all the sideways hovering etc I found the actual flying about part quite easy and very much like flying a plane. I can see that it would be harder the other way and have taught some heli flyers to fly fixed wing and the biggest problem they had was that the kept wanting it to go slower, or ideally not move at all. Planes don't like that sort of thing and it did lead to problems!

I suggest you give up on trying to teach yourself and get some good tuition from someone who flys both fixed wing and heli as they can guide you better as they know the story from both sides. I would be happy to help if you wanted to visit my club and have a fly.

As I mentioned before, the magnatilla is an ideal model as it can be both a fixed wing trainer and look WWI enough to satisfy that part of your criteria. Of course a 4 stroke will go hand in hand and anything from a 45 to 61 would do. Personally a 52 would be my choice. From the experience I have with my nieuport they are not the most stable of planes so I am not surprised you are having trouble.

I am sure that John Davies is correct in his suggestion of the mannock and Enya do make good engines for sure. The only snag is that the mannock is no longer available as a kit

Yes that is exactly where i am that Jon. Its not just the speed but the stick throws as on hellis its so little movement almost if you get a bad gust of wind it could blow your stick and effect the helicopter. I see the plane flyers throwing those sticks around and i can't get used to it. The other is trying to keep the thing level without the elevator. basically keeping the stick 'Still'!. As i am so used to always having that stick on the move like balancing a marble on a piece of hardwood.

In the main though its keeping that straight line flight without wiggling just a tiny bit on the usually 'UP' elevator and keeping the elevators still as i either dont do the turn or completely over do it and turn too much and flying upwind is a problem flying straight for me without lifting as i keep twiddling those damn sticks.

The other day i saw a flyer using the entire extent of the stick area can you imagine that on a helli.

I might ask on the beginners section on stick setting for a plane only

Edited By Vinegar Dave on 30/05/2015 10:36:46

If you are used to a sensitive model you could set it up with larger movements but I have to say I would not recommend it.

It is true though what you say about the workload flying a heli vs fixed wing as a plane will naturally want to fly but a heli wont. That said I don't recall my helis being as nervous as you are saying, I would often use full stick in one or more directions. Especially during rolls or if I was flying on a choppy day.

Anyway, I still recommend you get some proper training with an experienced heli and fixed wing pilot. Then its just practice and time

• 2 weeks later...