A Box of Frogs and Cox, Webra, Enya etc etc

At the field yesterday we had a visit from a very nice lady, who brought along a selection of items, that were her late husbands. She is looking to sell the items to raise money for the Hospice in which he stayed. The majority of what she showed us, had some value to builders but not much else, the usual, bundles of balsa, some covering, boxes of fixtures and fittings etc

Then she showed us the next box, the contents of which you can see in the following pics, yes they look used, but they are actually in quite good condition and all turn, none are seized but some are very gummed up and could use a clean.

My reason for posting this is that I had a figure in mind to buy the lot, but since this is to raise money for a good cause I have no idea if my figure is going to be anywhere near their worth, and I would hate to short change her. So have a look, and you engine experts out there, if you could let me know if they are deserving of a proper appraisal.

She would prefer to sell as a job lot as she doesn't really want the hassle of dealing with postage for individual ones as there are so many and she has a mountain of other stuff at home to deal with.

Any who, the pics.....

imag1185.jpg

imag1186.jpg

imag1187.jpg

imag1188.jpg

imag1189.jpg

imag1190.jpg

imag1191.jpg

imag1192.jpg

imag1193.jpg

imag1194.jpg

The KK kit is an untouched kit with all contents there as far as I can see

Advert

Dylan

Very interesting. I also have a box full of engines ! I'd say the AM10 is really an AM15. The 10 had a green-anodised head, the 15 was blue.

It's very hard to know how much to ask. I was once after a Frog 50 diesel and saw one at a swop-meet. The asking price made my eyes water !

Best of luck.

David

ps I did build a KK Snipe and it flew really well.

Edited By David Hardaker on 08/06/2015 20:17:45

Edited By David Hardaker on 08/06/2015 20:25:54

Potentially there is a lot of money there. Particularly if sold over a period of time on Ebay.

I am sure that a trader will offer less than half the market value.

It looks that there are quite a few PAWs and a Elfin, plus Mercos, Cox, Enya etc so a pretty mixed bag. Perhaps a list of all the motors would help in understanding how much is there in value.

There was actually one in there that was Green, but as you can see we, only got about half way into the box and there were more in there like what was on the lid. I did buy one off her though, a mint unused, unrun in original box, Cox Pee Wee 0.020, I have no idea of it's worth, I just knew I wanted it when I saw it. She was happy with my offer, as was I.

Yes I agree a price to put on it is difficult as a collection, but I would love it as a start to a collection I have always wanted to do, I just feel my offer might just be not a fair one, who knows, I think too much, wheres Alex when you need him lol.

The most interesting engine collection-wise is the ED Comp Special, with the flywheel on it. Shame the spinner nut and tank are missing.

The smallest red head engine is an Allbon (or DC) Dart (actually, I see there are two Darts), and the slightly larger red head, with the red plastic back plate, is a Hungarian Alag, X-3 or X-4 (1.5cc or 2.5cc).

There's also a DC Sabre 1.5.

None of the engines are particularly rare or valuable, but they're good, usable stuff.

The KK Snipe kit should fetch a reasonable price.

None of the engines is particularly "unusual" and there's no identification problem. They're all "cooking" engines, apart from the TD049, and they're unlikely to get any collectors jumping up and down (the Comp Special might be interesting, but it's missing a few parts).

The only problem at the moment is that the photos are a bit of a jumble, so it's not easy to refer to a particular engine on the photos.

We need a photo with the engines reasonably aligned, to make easy reference, but the idents are clear.

I just had another look, and the only engine I can't identify is the relatively recent RC glow engine that has an Enya muffler on it, but it looks like the ident. is in the crankcase casting. Other than that, the only problem will be the usual "telling the difference" between the PAW 249 and the 19.

Edited By brokenenglish on 10/06/2015 05:19:18

• 1 year later...

I see that the original thread was posted in 2015 so I doubt whether any of the engines are now available.

Had I been aware of the lady's situation at the time, I would have suggested that one of her husband's club colleagues put them up on eBay and given her the total amount bid for them minus his expenses. That would probably have raised the maximum amount.

Ascot, WTF is an ED 45 ???

There was never any model called the "45" and it doesn't correspond to any engine capacity either...

Looking at the photos, the only ED engine that I noticed is a 2cc Comp Special with a flywheel and with the fuel tank missing.

Edited By brokenenglish on 08/04/2017 18:40:28

Edited By brokenenglish on 08/04/2017 18:45:06