what propeller for speed 600 motor

Ash N

Hi All,

I had a glider with a speed 600 motor with a 2.8:1 gearbox running a 12-10 propeller.

The gearbox is broken and now only have another speed 600 motor with no gearbox. Now what propeller should I use with the non-geared motor?

It is on an old kit build 100" glider and no i dont want to convert to brushless.

many thanks!

Ash

Advert

A direct drive S600 should be able to take a 100" glider up so long as it isn't too porky - but not at a very fast rate.

One of my first ventures into electric flight was the conversion of 110" glider using 7x1.2Ah nicads squeezed in to the fus on the cg with a 600 can motor mounted on a ply pylon. It had an ic prop 'cause there was no such thing as an electric prop then nor were there speed controlers & a normal 4.8v 600mA nicad was also needed. To avoid a 3rd servo the motor control was achieved by a micro switch turned on with a dab of up + full up trim & off was a dab of full down + full down trim.
That combo was enough for about 3 slow climbs to about bungee height per charge but switching the motor off invariably resulted in some switchback antics with a loss of altitude.
Inevitably, the model met it's end when one day I tried to switch the motor off a bit too low. crook

Ash, what gearbox did you use ? I may still have an old Master GB & a 12" folder lying around.
OTOH as Phil said - why the reluctance to go brushless, even if you're using nickel cells it would give an worthwhile increase in power & with ability to use a big prop if a low KV motor was chosen.

Hi everyone,

thanks so much for all of your responses.

Chris and Malcolm - I found an folding 8 X 4.5 and thought id give it a try. it took it up relatively well but as you suggested it doesn't quite have the smooth pull it had before. it did the job though.

Patmc - Im not sure what gearbox it is. It looks to have come already on the graupner motor (i bought if off someone a long time ago) so not really sure how else to describe it apart from it being a 2.8:1...

I have all of the other bits (esc, new Nicad) and dont want to have to go through adapting the fuselage for new bits. but i may have no choice...

Thanks!

Any chance of a picture, as I have a lot of gearboxes and belt drives from old 600 motors, (and 600 motors), from when I changed over to brushless motors.

I still can't bring myself to throwing them away.

Edited By eflightray neath on 21/06/2015 18:01:25

hi eflighttray neath,

please see images below.

would be great if you had one. the one with the red gearbox looks very similar but looks a little smaller from here, maybe just the light though..

thanks for your help!

Ash

Displaying DSC_0374.JPG

Displaying DSC_0375.JPG

Displaying DSC_0376.JPG