Small warbird ZERO build

Rosco

Hello all again.

I've decided not to post the vid as it is not very long at all, but, here are some screenshots from the vid just to keep you satisfied laugh......

All ready to go.....

zero maiden.jpg

Actually hand launched well.....

zero maiden #1.jpg

It torque rolled to the left and the aileron authority was extremely lacking.....

zero maiden #2.jpg

Backed off the throttle because I had no hope of bringing it back...then...Death spiral that was inevitable.....sad

zero maiden #3.jpg

And....nose first into the ground but more damage done by the prop saver allowing the prop to flex into the bottom sheeting of the fuselage.....

zero maiden #4.jpg

All easily fixed yes

I'll be back.....

Rosco smiley

Edited By Rosco on 29/07/2015 15:00:03

Advert

I have fixed the damage after spending a couple of hours gluing it back together and fixing a few things.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend although the weather forecast isnt looking too flash!

Rosco smiley

That's a shame, better luck on take2! Now you mention it though those ailerons do look rather slim. I would add a bit of balsa strip to the rear of each one to increase the surface area. I had a similar outcome last year with an old control line plane that I RC'd. Far too heavy - flew for 2 seconds or so!!!

The before pic....

img_9503.jpg

.......and after

img_9534.jpg

Tis a stark reminder that things 'can go down aswell as up'!

Keep at it, Cheers, Simon

G'day all, sadly, my Zero is no more.

I managed to get a quick fly in at a local oval after work today. Ironically, after not having enough aileron authority the first time, I had too much on the second!

Out of my hand was good and first touch of ailerons had it roll so fast that I could not recover and it went in pretty hard....instant matchsticks!

Oh well, that will be it for the small models. My fingers were working hard not to break things during the build and I can't tell you how many times I broke the 2mm thick balsa wing ribs!

That's it for this one and thanks to those who had a look.

Rosco

Hi Simon. That's funny, you must have posted as I was typing out my last post!!

Yes, at first I did think that the ailerons were a bit small too but they proved to be ok in the end.

It did come out a bit heavier than I would have liked at AUW 340g's, but it flew without a problem so the electrics were ok powerwise.

As I mentioned, there will be no more small models. They are to fiddly for my thick fingers! I would never make good Surgeon!

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 31/07/2015 11:44:49

Hi Ron, Yes, you are 100% correct. Its not the first small model that I've had big problems with the little things nor the first that I've written off after a couple of flights either!!!

A bit off topic with the Zero but on topic with small models......I have owned several of the Skyangel 50mm EDF jets and as good as they are, just the smallest movement on anything makes a huge difference to how they fly. Things can turn ugly pretty quickly too once they start moving along.

If anyone is interested, for something different, here's my favourite one, the F18......

Another clip without music.........
Rosco yes

Showing my age now, but when I was a kid, models like your F18 were something to dream about and now you can get them off the shelf! Sadly neither my eyes nor my reflexes could keep up with it nowsad.

My smallest ( and fastest ) model is the 28" Cutlass and the problem I have is the wide speed range of the model. At low speed you need all the control you can get, but flat out you only need breath on the sticks to get a quick response. I know I could switch in rates, but what I could really use is a variable rate system controlled by the airspeed, now that's a gismo I would buyyes. Is there anything out there?

Ron.

Hi Rosco,

I was out for a while, and discovered the following and the end of the story just now...

Sorry for your Zero, but happy to hear you're on new projects.

It was a very cut little zero and a very pleasant thread to follow, thank you for sharing.

Small is soooooo cute but very (for me) tricky to fly :

This one (70 cm) flew very well ....

... but only straight away !!

Turning was like playing with death ! So she went quite quickly to storage.

dsc01110.jpg

Hope to see you soon...

henri