Small warbird ZERO build

Rosco

Hello all.

Having built a few bigger balsa models but not being able to get out as often as I would like or more to the point, not being able to travel to my regular flying site as often, I thought I'd build something suitable for having a quick fly at a local oval or a suitable area so.....

...after having owned several of the PZ UM models and enjoying their versatility but also having the 'build satisfaction' illness, I thought I'd have a try at a semi own design small balsa build.

I say semi because it is based on Ton Van Munsteren' micro warbird plans that were a free RCM&E plan but I will be building a Japanese ZERO fighter.

I intend on adding an undercarriage and a steerable tailwheel.

So.... here goes....

(Pic's later)

Rosco

Advert

Hi Henri,

Thanks for dropping by!

Yes, hopefully it'll be a quick build but I still want to get it right.

Just a quick update, I have drawn up a quick plan, there is not alot of difference to my version other than the aesthetic look of a Zero compared to the FW.There are a few things I will be doing different but the basics are there and if the original models flew then I can't see why this one won't.

I have built models like this before ie.based on one flying model but modified to be a different plane. I have only done this with foamboard though.

Rosco

Here's some pics.

Nothing to get excited about but 'the beginning' of the build nonetheless.

Before the pics, some of my ideas are:

Undercarriage

Steerable tail wheel and Rudder

Fully sheeted wing

No film (just painted)

Bigger motor and battery (3s)

Possibly a clear canopy

Full strip ailerons

My intention is that this will end up being a model that I can take anywhere to get my fix......

Original plan, tracing paper and a Zero 3view diagram.....

dsc_0354.jpg

The beginnings of my plans. I'm not to fussed if they are a bit messy. The main difference is the aesthetics and a few mods to suit my ideas.....

dsc_0356.jpg

Rosco smiley

Thanks guys.

.....I've started on the fuse now. I really could've just about finished it but I was limited on time so it is almost there!

This model really is just a box with wings and that's how it's meant to be, just something to throw around.

I need to get some more balsa to finish the wing so that will stay as is for a little while so until then.....

Happy building

Rosco

Some pics of a box with wings!

I have made the fuse from some 4mm balsa. That way I can give it a little shape with some sanding although it will still basically be a box cheeky

The box.......(obviously not finished yet)...........

dsc_0379a.jpg

The box with wings.......

dsc_0376a.jpg

dsc_0378a.jpg

Rosco smiley

Just a little bit more done now.

I'm waiting on getting some more balsa so I've been using odds and sods to get to where it is. The plan calls for mostly 2mm balsa but I've made the fuselage sides out of some 3mm stuff to allow for some sanding and the horizontal stab is made from some 4mm scrap balsa but I will also be sanding it down to try and get a bit more of an aerodynamic shape rather than have just a flat surface.

Anyway........here's some pics......

dsc_0389.jpg

dsc_0387.jpg

dsc_0386.jpg

I've just made the hatch a magnetic attachment (it magnetises to the screw you can see) on one end, and a tongue on the other......

dsc_0388.jpg

Rosco smiley

Edited By Rosco on 28/06/2015 12:34:49

Sorry Henri, I haven't answered your question!

It is supposed to be fixed wing but I don't like the idea of not being able to remove the wing for repairs etc.

I try to build all my models with a removable wing if possible.

Rosco

Hi Rosco, I'm lurking around your latest build too. Re your preference for a removable wing, I remember a powered glider design that used silicon rubber sealant to glue the wing on, this stuff is pretty strong, and in the event of needing to remove the wing the designer simply used dental floss like a cheese wire to cut it off.

Might work for your latest tiddler

Ron.

Edited By ron evans on 29/06/2015 22:28:10

Thanks for dropping by Ron.

Ironically, even though I like to have a removable wing, I can count on one hand how many times I have needed to remove one!

Your suggestion makes sense in that context so a good suggestion at that. Something for me to think about.

Hopefully today I can get some more balsa to finish the wing. I spent a little time yesterday thinking about the ailerons but didn't do much other than sand a few bits while I wait for a chance to get some more balsa.

I also apologise because the last two posts conflict in regards to wood thickness. I had a quick measure and the fuse sides are 3mm thick whilst the horizontal stab is 5mm but it is now sanded to a more aerodynamically friendly shape so it's not so thick now.

I glued some small bits of spruce (I think!) into the wing for the undercarriage support. I also have some different ideas about how to mount the 'struts' too.

Hopefully I'll have a bit more done by my next post.

Once again, thanks to those who have dropped in for a look.

Rosco

Hi Simon.

Yes it is smallish.

I've had a few bits in my parts box waiting to fit into something about this size so I thought I'd give it a try!

The colour scheme will just be a plain green with the red circle insignia, nothing fancy. I will most likely paint it on.

Cheers

Rosco

Hi all,

I've slowly got a little bit more done on the Zero but unfortunately don't have any pic's to add.

I have made the wing removable and have the ailerons sorted. I have actually had to re-do the aileron linkages because I was not happy with how they turned out the first time. I did cut a bit of a hole in the fuselage sides first time round but have since neatened them up with no gaping hole anymore. They run off one servo with the two aileron linkages poking through the sides of the fuse.

It is a little heavier than I expected and I will be trying to lighten it up a little, but how, I'm still thinking about!

Hopefully I can add some pic's by the next post. I'm resonably happy with it so far and once it gets some paint on its skin, I think it will look good.

Rosco

Hello all.

Well.....I'm happy to say that my mini Zero is 98% done. All the electrics are done so it now has working ailerons, elevator and rudder.

I have made some undercarriage mounting points but for now, I think I'll leave it as a belly lander because I don't think the undercarriage will stand up to my hard landings so until I find out how it flies, I'll be leaving it off.

All that is left is a paint job and some minor finishing off in a couple of spots so if I get out this weekend then I'll be maddening it, hopefully in a finished state.

I can't add any pic's from my phone so unfortunately I have no pics to show. I'll put some up when can.

Until then,
Rosco

Hi all.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to maiden the ZERO over the weekend. It was not quite finished although I could have tried to fly it anyway, all that was missing was the paint.

I have since painted it. I am not happy with the canopy shape so I will be fixing it accordingly.

I had started to reassemble the bits and pieces before the photos so only the tail linkages are connected.....

dsc_0499.jpg

dsc_0500.jpg

dsc_0502.jpg

dsc_0503.jpg

I've left the bottom without the markings for orientation purposes.....

dsc_0501.jpg

Rosco smiley

Hi all,

I'm happy to say that I had a few minutes to get a maiden in today.

It was how I intended for the model to be used too, ie. a quick trip up to the local oval and then on my way.

To say it was perfect would be a lie but it would be the closer to the truth if I said it wasn't good although it wasn't that bad.

I balanced it on the mark suggested in the plan but it was right on the verge of being tail heavy and I know why.... I gave the model a slightly longer fuse and a slightly bigger (wider) rudder therefore adding about a cm and a bit onto the overall length, something I didn't consider!

Anyway.....she flew but not well. It lacked aileron response, had too much elevator movement and kept tourquing over to the left ( did a big left hand turn) and I couldn't get out if danger so I cut the throttle and she spiralled in.

The damage is repairable and infact, the prop saver probably allowed the prop to do more damage to the model than the ground!

I'll fix her up and get her up again soon.

I did get some vid but it's a bit embarrassing. Once I suck my pride up, I might post it!!!

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 29/07/2015 10:52:36