Ebay tactics?

Phil 9

tonight I listed an RC car on ebay as an auction. and within 2 hours I have had 5 people ask me what my but it now price would be. I answered and then received two offers of a swap for another RC car ( I can understand the logic of this). the others did not reply to my buy it now price not even to try to haggle me down.

Is this some type of tactic asking for a buy it now price and may I be selling myself short by answering?

Advert

As a long time ebay seller I would make the following comments?

If you have it on auction only never give people a buy it now price. They are just trying to get you to sell it cheap and apart from being against ebay rules it's not fair on those wishing to bid.

If you are willing to give a buy it now price then include it in the original listing.

Robin👍

Posted by Robin Etherton on 21/06/2015 22:23:11:

As a long time ebay seller I would make the following comments?

If you have it on auction only never give people a buy it now price. They are just trying to get you to sell it cheap and apart from being against ebay rules it's not fair on those wishing to bid.

If you are willing to give a buy it now price then include it in the original listing.

Robin👍

after some research I found it is not against ebay rules if there are no bids on the item. I was a little unsure about what I could get for it so I listed it as an auction only. But thanks for the advice and I will stop answering with a price and encourage them to make a bid.

Buy-it-now is handy if you have something unusual that doesnt appear very often and will appeal only to those who are actively looking for one, and so will not receive many bids. If you set a reasonable buy-it-now and they know they wont get one anywhere else, then they will buy it.

With an auction, if only one person is interested in your item they get it for your starting price.

Cheers
Phil

I usually respond by thanking them for their interest, then point out that it's an auction, there is no B-I-N price, and that to be fair to all those who are watching I will leave the auction running up to its natural end.

They are just - as Robin said - trying to get the item cheaper than they'd get it by bidding.