Hubsan Quadcopter 107D drift and FPV status

Rich Barton

Hi gang, this is my first post here. I found you guys while googling some problems with my son's new 107D. I've solved some but still have a couple I could use your help with.

First, a bit about me. I started flying u-controls when I was about 10. R/C's in my early teens. Got a pilot's license and IFR certification in my 30's and flew a bunch for fun. Then family came along and ended that. Now my 20 year old son has gotten the quadcopter bug and I'm enjoying it too. The Hubsan is his first 'copter. Boy have the electronics taken a huge leap forward since I was in it as a kid!

First problem. The 'copter wont hold position in a windless (indoor) environment. It drifts. I tried the calibration at this link but it still drifts.

Second problem: the FPV screen is staticy at times or goes blank. Good batteries. 'copter within 10 feet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can supply!!

Advert

Hi Rich , your link doesn't seem to point to the correct location

Its been a while since I have flown my Hubsans, and forgive me if you have already tried these things but if you have done the calibration on a level surface, and get drift in the same direction , and have tried putting packing under one side of the Quad and re-calibrated - as per the instruction book and it still drifts , have you tried adjusting the trim when in flight ?

Even indoors, there are air currents which tend to induce drifting to a certain extent , and its own prop wash may affect it too especially near surfaces and walls

Rich, I've got the non FPV micro quad, if you can get it not to drift you are doing really (no really really) well, they don't have any GPS so the slightest air current will cause them to drift and as they are basically 4 fans driving air around the room, you get the picture.

If you want a quad that doesn't drift you'll need an outdoor one with a GPS lock on it, i.e. it uses GPS to hold it in position.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/06/2015 23:46:37:

If the drift is consistently in one direction then its probably a calibration issue. But if its just random drift then quads without GPS-hold do that - its down to the pilot to correct it. smile

BEB

It's no more difficult than balancing a ball bearing on top of a snooker ball laugh

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 24/06/2015 09:22:25:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/06/2015 23:46:37:

If the drift is consistently in one direction then its probably a calibration issue. But if its just random drift then quads without GPS-hold do that - its down to the pilot to correct it. smile

BEB

It's no more difficult than balancing a ball bearing on top of a snooker ball laugh

LOL! Good description!

BEB

Hi Rich, I have been flying collective pitch helicopters successfully for around three years now but my wife bought me the FPV Hubsan for Christmas and I find it a handful both indoors and out because of its wanderlust plus the picture often breaks up even at quite close range and with fully charged batteries.

Treat it as a fairly tough entry level machine but because of the strange format it records the video in and the short flying time it is of little practical use other than to improve your hand to eye co-ordination as mentioned in the article or to annoy the cat / dog !

Barry