Smaller slope soaring wing plans?

Hi, my son lives up on the East coast/Sottish borders and his local beach has an ideal site for slope soaring. I would like to build a flying wing , the sort with a nose that at least looks vaguely aeroplanish. It has to be small as we sometimes go up by train. Any suggestions for a plan of something like this!

Cheers,

MrTin

Edited By Foxfan on 29/06/2015 16:09:49

Advert

One option is a Wiesel, "inpired" by the Dreamflight Weasel (currently out of production). The best all rounder I've ever flown though is still the NCFM Moth - can be built light or heavy, but as a middleweight with a ballast tube it's the nearest I've seen to the perfect, all weather, any slope hack. I think it can be built with a two piece wing too if needed for packing down, though I suspect it makes the build a bit more fiddly.

Moth video on Vimeo

A Multiplex Fox conversion makes a good 'fun' traveller & packs into a small box.
Going for rudder/elevator rather than ailerons means the wing can be more easily removed and more easily stored with no horns to poke holes in anything fragile.  Make yourself a small tranny and Bob Sherunkle:

fox1.jpg

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 29/06/2015 18:32:37

Gents,

some very nice craft there, of which the Snazzel suits me best, much I like the Moth, but I would need plans to build it, but what a performance!

It seems to me that some of these would fly in a breeze, even in the Flatlands where I live, where it's always breezy.

I do like the Snazzel as it has a nose, which is essential to my aesthetic senses.

Actually, looking at some of the soarer "wings", I'm wondering if the wings from my Skystreak 32 on a different fuselage might not be ideal.

But for now, it's the Snazzel and many thanks to you all for your help.

My tardy response was due to fencing even higher to stop 2 Huskies getting out of the garden!

Ain't life a beach?

Cheers,

MrTin

Posted by Phil Green on 29/06/2015 18:30:53:

A Multiplex Fox conversion makes a good 'fun' traveller & packs into a small box.
Going for rudder/elevator rather than ailerons means the wing can be more easily removed and more easily stored with no horns to poke holes in anything fragile. Make yourself a small tranny and Bob Sherunkle:

fox1.jpg

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 29/06/2015 18:32:37

+1 on this BUT ALSO, buy three, and combine the wings of 2 by adding the outer section of one onto the near full span of another. This makes it much higher aspect and performance is greatly increased.

Thanks for those, chaps. I like the Obelisk, but at 43" it's a bit big for lugging about on a train.

A kind gent has sent me the plan for the Snazzle, so I'll be building that in foam, my first attempt at Depron as I'm not a huge fan of balsawood!

Cheers,

MrTin