First warbird

ryan iuiggu

hi all, I'm after a bit of advice I want to go down the wabird route but don't know where to start, a few people have said the at6 Texan or Harvard, just a bit of background on my flying experience I've just past my A cert, I have the foam version of acro wot which I've been flying for about a year, been flying for a total of about 2 years any help would be great thanks

Advert

I would recommend the Eflite P47 that has just been re-released. I have the older silver version, and it flies great. It should be fine with the same 3s 2200 packs, and if you can fly the Acrowot this will be no problem. As long as you have somewhere ok for retracts that is!

Ryan, I would steer clear of the AT-6. It's a beautiful looking aircraft but it's going to be a dog to fly because of it's tendancy to tip stall.. . I would never consider a model with such qualities.

I suggest a Thunderbolt P-47, it's a great flyer! Turns on a sixpence. I have a foamy P-47 from ParkZone which I use without wheels. It's a discontinued model but I saw one for sale on eBay recently BNIB cheap!

Ash

The Parkzone P47 and EFlite P47 are one and the same - HH seem to be eliminating the PZ brand, so it's been re-released as EFlite. It is a great first electric warbird, but it's so well behaved it won't teach you much about flying warbirds in general - it has none of the usual more challenging characteristics such as tip stalling at low to medium speeds. I sold mine in the end cos I just found it a bit bland, but for a beginner to low wing warbirds it is perfect.

Hi Ryan,

When I was in your position, I went with a T-28 - and didn't regret it.

In my view, there is a big difference in flying characteristics between a foamy warbird and a built-up warbird suitable for IC - mainly due to wing loading.

If you want to go down the IC route, it may be worth getting proficient on a low wing IC intermediate trainer with a reasonable wing loading first.

Just something to think about - obviously you know your own comfort zone much better than we do...

Good Luck!

I would totally agree with TWSon this. There really isn't much of a problem with almost any faomie warbird (a few real dogs aside!) The light wing loading of such models means that by and large they do not exhibit the challenges usually associated with model warbirds.

But a wooden construction IC powered model is usually a beast of a different type. They are inevitably much heavier and so have a much higher wing loading - and that's where all the problems start. Higher flying speeds are just the start of it - many of them have very unpleasant stall characteristics - a rapid, asymmetric stall that comes on with very little warning. They have to be flown with great respect.

So, the way forward? Well I agree with the P47 as a prototype as it tends to be well behaved by warbird standards! Another way - and perhaps the best - would be to get a non scale wood made IC low winger to "cut your teeth on" and get the feel for a faster, slightly less, forgiving type. The AcroWot is a low winger - but it is a particularly tolerant one so I'd go for something a bit more "edgy" say a Revolver or something similar? If it must be scale - then how about a Chipmunk? Nice flier but aerobatic and will ease you into faster models with more inertia.

BEB

BEB is spot on as usual.

One extra point worth making is landings. Even most warbird foamies can be persuaded into a presentable landing if you just shut the throttle and glide it on in. For a high wing load, you'll need to control the descent with the throttle, much as full size aircraft do. Then you need good elevator coordination with tail-draggers (as most warbirds are) to stop them nosing over at speed.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to get a relatively cheap and cheerful model on which to practice. I had a Black Horse Super Air. It has tapered wings, so can made to tip stall. It has a tail-dragger layout, so you can practice the elevator use, and is relatively highly loaded, so the arrival speeds will be higher. But the best bit is that they are rugged, so they will survive arrivals that the subsequent warbird won't. It'll probably fall apart after 20 or 30 bad landings and a couple of hundred flights, but by then it will have served its purpose. I have one and it's looking quite battered now, but it's taught me a lot!

Keep us informed as to what you decide!

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 03/07/2015 14:20:30

The Super Air is an attractive model but it has a flat-bottomed wing like a trainer and the covering is not profilm/oracover.

Have a look at Seagull's Pilatus PC-9 (46 size), ticks all the boxes and fly's like a warbird. A superb sports model!

Has a thick wing section so you can fly it fast or slow and it's fully aerobatic.

Edited By ASH. on 05/07/2015 00:33:46