Going lipo

Kevo

Hi Chaps, are any of you using lipos as flight battery's ? ie servo and receiver power.I have heard things for and against.....and the need for expensive regulators etc...so I'm looking for someone that uses these battery's and set ups that can give me a numpty's idea of the pro's and cons of lipo's verses the std nicad packs. Any feedback great fully received.

Advert

The main disadvantage with LiPos designed for electric power usage in this application is the need to return them to storage charge. Fail to do this with any high C lipo and they will puff pretty quickly. LiFe however do not do this, and are therefore a superior choice in this application for rayon other an users of HV servos; just don't get caught out by the very flat discharge curve.

Edited By MattyB on 17/07/2015 22:59:35

+1 for LiFe batteries, I'm moving over to these, no regulator required, voltage drops to around 6.6v shortly after switch on and seems pretty stable under load. The only issues are

- you need to change the the lithium setting on your charger to LiFe and this is usually in a separate menu so if you charge lipos as well you have to keep changing backwards and forwards

- The flat discharge curve makes it very difficult to measure the remaining capacity, I've left fully charged ones for a week, checked them on a battery checker and it's said 60% fully, recharge a 2100 mah Life and it takes less then 100 mah and then shows full on the checker. But having telemetry on my radio means that I can always see the Rx voltage so I use this to ensure the batteries are fine.

A few weeks ago I flew my 1:3.5 scale Topaze glide at an aerotow and probably had over 3 hours in the air, the 2100 mah Life battery took just under 1000 mah to recharge.

Thanks to one and all for your answers.....a lad at my club has lent me a small lipo and regulator set up to try, and this seems to be working fine with less charging for more flying and that is what I hoped to achieve.

Thanks again Kev. 😀